Answer to Salary and Podiatry as a Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssnake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everybody seems to be so concerned with how much a podiatrist makes. The only question you should ask is if you will be able to repay your loans and survive. If you find yourself basing your decision on entering podiatry based upon how much a podiatrists makes, then you are probably making the wrong decision and should go the MD/DO route.

A podiatrist can make between 50k-250k, depends on how good you are, how smart you are, and how much you want it. I am sure experience doctors like PADPM can correct me if I am wrong, and by all means please do. However, podiatry is a career, a physician focusing on a geographical area of the body. You will make people feel better and more comfortable. If you are happy and build relationships with people, then more should come.

People including my brother have given me crap about going the DPM route because I have a competitive GPA in Biochem and just average MCATs (they feel I should work on getting in MD school) but I made the choice after shadowing a podiatrist and having a good experience with one after a sports injury. I am excited to start podiatry school soon, and look forward to it as a career.

In my shadowing, I have seen lots of sports injuries and elderly people. That may not be true, again anyone feel free to correct, but at least for smaller, rural areas this seems to be true. The DPM that I shadow enjoys what he does and has done it for 30+ years. His family works in the office and he builds great relationships with the patients.

If you want a career that you can take care of people, make them happy, and earn as much as you are willing to earn by hard work, then this is probably the career for you. If you are unsure and don't know if you want a DPM or not, then shadow a DPM and a MD/DO/DDS one after another. Don't bring me down by entering a hard school and complaining all four years, because I look forward to this career and get tired of seeing posts worried solely on income rather on more important aspects of the career.

Hope this helps those deciding, and please just shadow, you will learn more by shadowing than you will ever learn by posting anything. It is a great experience, and if it is not, then don't enter this career.:thumbup:

Any DPMs or pod students feel free to correct me.

Members don't see this ad.

I really like what ssnake said..
I just wanted to share my shadowing experience with different doctors. I shadowed five doctors and ask the same question from each of them is ..What would you do if you have to do medical career again?

ER doctor (DO) said she would be happy if she is denstist
Orthopedics Doctor (MD) said he would be happy if he stayed as high school teacher.
Nephrology Doctor (MD) said he would be happy if he is physicist.
Two Podiatry Doctors (DPMs) said they would still do Podiatry if they have to do it again..

This is what made my mind to go for podiatry. I want to love and enjoy what I am going to do for the rest of my life.

I have to agree, once I decided to do the medical route during my freshman year of college I got my CNA, shadowed my family physician, an internist, talked to an ER surgeon, and then a podiatrist.

Maybe it was because the best doctor out of all the ones I shadowed was the podiatrist or the fact that he excited me about the career opportunities but I decided to do the DPM route. (applying this summer for 2012)

In high school I wanted to run my own business, then in college I wanted to work in medicine. Podiatry gives me the option to do both everyday. Sounds like a wonderful choice.

I read this forum often and I always skip over the comments about "what is the pay" "why only feet". I just tell myself it is not for everyone. Here in the United States due to the flawed insurance system doctors make huge salaries thus you get people who "want" to become doctors merely because they can buy large houses and fast cars. Well all I have to say to them is don't make my future profession into the ads that I have in my juke mail about get rich schemes because this is not one of them. DPM school is difficult and not easy so if anyone has doubts about it before you enter I would suggest not starting.

I just needed to vent for a min. I don't really care if anyone even reads this post.

Members don't see this ad :)
gene, while you're venting I'll do a little myself. Just because someone is inquiring about salary doesn't mean they are money hungry or getting into the profession for the wrong reasons. It means they want to know what their future holds before spending another 4+ years in school and the guarantee of being in A LOT of debt. I would say it is irresponsible to make a decision on a career without getting a rough estimate of what your eventual salary will be. Now I am not saying people should get into this career just for the money, but than again, who I am to judge another person's motivations? I know it gets annoying with all of these salary threads since a simple search would answer most people's questions, but come on. Wanting to help people and wanting to make a nice salary are not mutually exclusive.

I understand where you are coming from, Dental Jerry. You do need to know if you can repay your debts and live comfortably. Gene also makes a good point that if you are in it for the money, then you will not like what you do and not provide great care, losing patients.
From what I have researched and read from these threads is that if you work hard in podiatry you will be able to pay off your loans. This may take longer than a DDS, MD, DO but you will be able to pay them off and live comfortably. Therefore, if you like the career, then enter this career. If you want a school that is slightly easier to get into because you want to be a doctor without working hard, then this is the WRONG path. It may be slightly easier to get into, but that is not a good reason for waiting a year or two to bring up your MCAT and stats to get into the profession you truly want to get into.
I have read threads from Pods students and MD students both saying that Pod school is difficult and at the same level as MD schools, just a slightly different focus. So don't settle for a Pod career, shadow and if you like it, then pursue it. You will make a six figure salary (probably on the lower end, below 200,000) most likely in the end. If you love the career you will find a way to make it work. Don't go to Pod school because you got a 25 on the MCAT, when your favorite MD/DO school asked you to have at least a 27-30. You might be able to get in, but it will be just as difficult and from my understanding it will focus on podiatry. Please if you don't want that focus, just wait a year or two and bring up your MCAT.
All different forms of doctors, DPM MD DO DDS OD, work hard for their patients and usually crack the six figure salary barrier. Make your decision on what you want to do and want to focus on rather than salary and temporary setbacks. :idea:

Very good points everyone. Like it has been said previously, the majority of the salary threads are just wondering if they will be able to pay back their loans but this info could have been found if they just did a quick search.

As everyone has said, choose a career where you will be happy and where you will enjoy what you do. In my experience, if you enjoy what you do, then you will be successful. You will want to work harder, work won't seem like work since you enjoy it, everyone around you will notice, and all of these will contribute to success.

If you find yourself basing your decision on entering podiatry based upon how much a podiatrists makes, then you are probably making the wrong decision and should go the MD/DO route.

No letters after your name will guarantee financial success.

Advice I got from every doc I shadowed: Don't go into any field of medicine for the money.

I def. Agree 100%, the question you need to ask is, are you going to make enough to pay back your student loan? that's it
Personally, I felt that Podiatry medicine is great for someone who enjoys interaction between the Doc/Patients! For example, I've shadowed an ortho and most of his patients only saw him pre-op then post-op then bye bye forever! Whereas the Pod that I've shadowed has a circle of patients who comes back routinely for their foot care! I believe that Podiatrists get the best of both worlds, the possibility of surgery AND they have room to develop relationships with their patients! Agree ? No? :)

Advice I got from every doc I shadowed: Don't go into any field of medicine for the money.

Actually I was just told the part in bold.

It is true though: money doesn't make a person happy. It's the things you buy with money that makes one happy :thumbup:

I really like what ssnake said..
I just wanted to share my shadowing experience with different doctors. I shadowed five doctors and ask the same question from each of them is ..What would you do if you have to do medical career again?

ER doctor (DO) said she would be happy if she is denstist
Orthopedics Doctor (MD) said he would be happy if he stayed as high school teacher.
Nephrology Doctor (MD) said he would be happy if he is physicist.
Two Podiatry Doctors (DPMs) said they would still do Podiatry if they have to do it again..

This is what made my mind to go for podiatry. I want to love and enjoy what I am going to do for the rest of my life.

I hope you made this life-long decision on a bit more than what 4 random professionals told you... I must say, I do like the Evidence Based Post (EBP)

Let me guess... you shadowed docs who AREN'T making a lot of money, right? :laugh:

Exactly! I'm so glad someone was able to take my clearly worded post and twist it to discern my actual point.

Actually I was just told the part in bold.

It is true though: money doesn't make a person happy. It's the things you buy with money that makes one happy :thumbup:
I agree. Just to add a little...I feel like a happy person, but remember...Money makes happy people happier and less stressed about money. If I won the Florida Powerball, I'm pretty sure my happiness level would go up.

I agree. Just to add a little...I feel like a happy person, but remember...Money makes happy people happier and less stressed about money. If I won the Florida Powerball, I'm pretty sure my happiness level would go up.

Very true. Studies have shown that money does increase happiness. But money is not the end all be all. Money alone will not bring happiness.

According to TLC you would end up on a TV show and be very unhappy.

According to TLC you would end up on a TV show and be very unhappy.
You are probably right. I would be pretty bummed out when I blow through $50 million in a month, which is doable. But if I still look for deals on slickdeals.net or fatwallet.com, my millions should last a few more months. NO, but seriously, I am happy as a poor man on welfare. I will be this way for only one more decade. My wife and kids make me very happy.

I feel you. I never had money and won't have it for a long time, but it will come to podiatrists eventually! :D Money does relieve some stress in life, well especially in this climate, a lot of stress in life. So you need that balance between the right amount of money and the other things you like right.

Hey who doesn't want to have a couple billion? If any of you have extra money you don't want, you can always send it my way! :laugh: Think of it as a contribution to my education!