Answering Questions About Time Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boundlesscorpuscle

MD Class of 2023!
Reaction score
Many secondary applications ask about gap years/time off after undergrad. If all goes according to plan, I will be graduating in December and thus will have a 'gap semester.' That pans out to approximately 6-8 months between graduation and (hopefully) matriculation to medical school. Do I need to/should I indicate this on my application?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Many secondary applications ask about gap years/time off after undergrad. If all goes according to plan, I will be graduating in December and thus will have a 'gap semester.' That pans out to approximately 6-8 months between graduation and (hopefully) matriculation to medical school. Do I need to/should I indicate this on my application?

Thanks in advance for your help!
It depends on the exact prompt. Since you are not already in a gap period, it may not apply to you.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the exact prompt. Since you are not already in a gap period, it may not apply to you.

Thanks for your reply, Catalystik! So for example, with the prompt "If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so," I would not respond, because I have not yet taken time off at the time of application.

But in terms of a question like "Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree? If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school," I would need to discsuss my 'gap semester' plans?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) So for example, with the prompt "If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so," I would not respond, because I have not yet taken time off at the time of application.

2) But in terms of a question like "Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree? If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school," I would need to discsuss my 'gap semester' plans?
1) I agree that prompt would not apply to you.

2) Strictly speaking, the first sentence might apply to you, as the answer is probably No, but would equally apply to anyone taking off the summer months, and I don't think they want to know about a brief hiatus. If the second sentence is considered to provide further elaboration on the first, it cements my impression, as you are not taking a gap "year" currently. Further, the tense used in the sentence suggests they want to know your present activities while no longer pursuing a degree. Yet you do not have the degree yet, thus can not be involved in such activities.

Overall, I don't think you need to answer the prompt.

1) I agree that prompt would not apply to you.

2) Strictly speaking, the first sentence might apply to you, as the answer is probably No, but would equally apply to anyone taking off the summer months, and I don't think they want to know about a brief hiatus. If the second sentence is considered to provide further elaboration on the first, it cements my impression, as you are not taking a gap "year" currently. Further, the tense used in the sentence suggests they want to know your present activities while no longer pursuing a degree. Yet you do not have the degree yet, thus can not be involved in such activities.

Overall, I don't think you need to answer the prompt.

Alright, that makes sense. I'll just do my best based on the context of the specific prompts to decide if I should discuss my time off or not. Thanks again!

You can expect to be asked in your interviews what you're up to.
The answer should not be "holding down the couch".
Travel and other enjoyable but enriching activities are fine though, provided you have sufficient volunteering already.