Ant time to work out during dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quick Slvr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys find any extra time to workout (weight training)or do any thing else during the regular semester. I have been working out for a while ( 2 years solid) and dont want to give it up. One of my friends going to NYU said that " you can set aside time to work out but your grades are going to suffer" Is this true ??? I am going to tufts and want to know what do their students think about setting aside about 5 hours a week to work out? are my grades really going to suffer? I am very good student, i am sure you guys can't study all day and night, you have to have some sort of break, right ????

Members don't see this ad.

dude...

You'll have plenty of time to workout! 5 hours a week.....easily!

Grades suffer if you workout, please! I work out, my grades are just fine (does 60s and 70s count)!!:laugh:

Work out! It's ADA recommended!

I am very good student, i am sure you guys can't study all day and night, you have to have some sort of break, right ????

Then there you go. Your grades will only suffer if you give up trying. Working out /exercise is essential. I know I won't give it up--ever. Exercise gives you peace of mind and some time away/change from a solid day of work. Quite honestly, if you don't work out, you may feel unhealthy and guilty for not exercising, thus your state of mind and grades will suffer. It was said best at UNC this past weekend, and that is that you MUST have an even balance between work, and the rest of your life to be truly happy-- and your grades will depend, in large part, on how happy/motivated you are. You'll do great!

Good luck!

-Richard

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah-E, I hope you are not serious about the 60s and 70s:( From looking at your board scores you are damn smart ... i strive to be just like you.......only with but with bigger muscles! :laugh:heheheheheh thanks for your reply!

Thanks for the postive feedback Richard!

I sincerely believe that you will be capable of attain good grades and still have time for extra-curricular activities if you use proper time management. If you decide to work out regularly, than you might have to sacrifice some of your time watching T.V. or going out. If use your time effectively and study efficiently, then you should have no problem fitting some time to 'feed your muscles'.

Quick Slvr,

I'll be going to Tufts too. The good thing is there is a gym right across the street. The bad thing is we have to pay for it because it isnt included in the tuition.

As for working out, I plan to keep my routine up.

If working out is your priority, then yes, you will be able to continue it in dental school.

For me, I'd love to have a workout routine, but I'm willing to sacrifice it to do other things related to school. Working out brings me more stress than its worth right now, and I already have enough stress to deal with involving faculty, patients, labwork, extra-curriculars, administration, and too many others to list.

My opinion is that in dental school, you can pick 2 out of 3 and do them well, or do a half-decent job on all three. Your choices are the following: school, social life, sleep. School includes all school related extracurriculars and research, social life is where working out would fall, and sleep is sleep. I've generally picked school and sleep for most of the four years, but social life has crept in a little during the last 2 years. Anyone else find this theory applicable?

I think the theory has to be amended according to year of study. I found my first year was hectic with the large courseload. I worked out but it was harder to have a set schedule. Once big test weeks came around I had to abandon my workouts for a week or two. In my second year I have had ample time to maintain a good gpa, do extracurriculars, work out 6 days a week and go out socially. :) If you can get into a good routine and are disciplined (which if you are lifting for 2 years I'm sure you are) it's not a problem.

Originally posted by DcS
I think the theory has to be amended according to year of study. I found my first year was hectic with the large courseload. I worked out but it was harder to have a set schedule. Once big test weeks came around I had to abandon my workouts for a week or two. In my second year I have had ample time to maintain a good gpa, do extracurriculars, work out 6 days a week and go out socially. :) If you can get into a good routine and are disciplined (which if you are lifting for 2 years I'm sure you are) it's not a problem.
Sounds like you had an easier time second year than first. Does your school break the traditional second-year-hell model?

I guess it does. 2nd year fall was pretty busy, but this is our schedule now:

DENT 210 Behavior Management: Adolescent/Adult
DENT 211 Fixed Bridges and Ceramics
DENT 212 Removable Prosthodontics I
DENT 213 Biomechanics and Preclinical Orthodontics
DENT 214 Systemic Pathology
DENT 216 Information Management for Clinical Practice

The rest of our time (three 3 hour blocks/week) is spent on patient care, which increases to 5 patient care slots per week this summer. Once board prepping starts, which is soon for me, things will get a little more busy.