anterior posterior axis vs dorsal ventral

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenRainBoots

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Can anyone help with a quick Embrology question?
First Aid says sonic hedgehog patterns along the anterior-posterior axis; Wnt-7 patterns along the dorsal ventral axis.
What's the difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Can anyone help with a quick Embrology question?
First Aid says sonic hedgehog patterns along the anterior-posterior axis; Wnt-7 patterns along the dorsal ventral axis.
What's the difference?

I think ant-post axis = cranial (head)-caudal (tail/feet) axis
dorsal:ventral = back (think hairy back):front (think stomach)

Dorsal and ventral are synonymous with posterior and anterior, respectively.

Furthermore, if you use them interchangeably, you won't ever be wrong, but just be aware that there are times when it is more appropriate to use one over the other.

For example, you would always say the ventral or dorsal mesentry or aspects of the hands or penis, however you would be more inclined to say anterior abdominal wall versus ventral abdominal wall.

In relation to your specific question, Sonic hedgehog gene regulates polarity at the base of the limbs, whereas Wnt-7 produces organization at the distal ends of the developing limbs. Since the latter is distal, it fits better with the ventral-dorsal description normally afforded to the hands/feet, whereas the former is more closely associated with the trunk, and so it receives the trunk-association.

I just thought I should point out that I just encountered a question in USMLE Rx about deleting a gene at the apical ectodermal ridge (presumed to be Wnt7), and in the answer choices, it asked about polarization along ventral to dorsal vs anterior to posterior. The only reason I got the question right (17% had answered correctly) was because of this thread from some time ago.

That being said, this was a pretty low-yield factoid that actually showed up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I know this was posted some time ago, but I just want to clear it up for anyone else that searches it. I had to go back to my (poorly written) embryo book to find it. Ant-post is in fact NOT THE SAME as dorsal ventral when you are considering limbs. Embryologist, being the obnoxious jerks they are, decided to confuse medical students by making ant-post equivalent to RADIAL-ULNAR. The zone of polarizing activity is located on the posterior side (by the pinky) and in chick embryos if you transplant another on the radial side they turn out like the human equivalent of a person with 7 fingers and no thumb. This is only valid for the limbs and once you get to the trunk (in embryology) ant-post designations are typically no longer used.

Reactions: 1 users