Anthropology at U of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sesom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was looking at some of the majors at U of Utah and they have an Anthropology degree that includes premed prerequisites. I found this interesting since it was the only major that had an option for premed prerequisites. This led me to believe that Anthropology may be an especially popular degree for premed.

So I was wondering if any of you have seen this type of degree offering at your school in Anthropology or any other major.

Members don't see this ad.

Anthro major that requires chem, bio, and/or o chem?

Naw

At my school it was exercise science.

Go Cougars!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it even goes as far as to dedicate 3 credits to independent research. Interesting.

Hey all. I just graduated with a BA in Anthropology. At first I wondered why Anthropology wasn't a BS instead of a BA- because I learned a heck of a lot of science in the biological courses- but I must admit it was a very stimulating experience. I was exposed to cultural awareness through cultural anthropology courses, as well as the biological aspect of the study of humans through anthro courses like evolutionary anatomy and forensic science (for all of you aspiring pathologists). I am interested in pathology myself; Skeleton Stories and now Dr.G on the Discovery Health channel have really kept me interested as a possible field to pursue in the future. But then again my background is shadowing in IR, so we shall see. It is too early in the game for me to be picking sides quite yet!

Hey all. I just graduated with a BA in Anthropology. At first I wondered why Anthropology wasn't a BS instead of a BA- because I learned a heck of a lot of science in the biological courses- but I must admit it was a very stimulating experience. I was exposed to cultural awareness through cultural anthropology courses, as well as the biological aspect of the study of humans through anthro courses like evolutionary anatomy and forensic science (for all of you aspiring pathologists). I am interested in pathology myself; Skeleton Stories and now Dr.G on the Discovery Health channel have really kept me interested as a possible field to pursue in the future. But then again my background is shadowing in IR, so we shall see. It is too early in the game for me to be picking sides quite yet!

At my school (u of utah) Anthropology is offered in BA or BS. This is also the case with just about every science degree, BA or BS. There is usually small differences such as language courses you take.

I took note of this when someone on here mentioned that they were considering a BA in Biology. So many people on here fired at him/her saying there was no such thing, it depends on the school.

Anyway, interesting stuff, I am not sure on what I will ultimately major in. Although I do have interest in Anthropology so I will explore the possibility.

I thought about doing Anthro for a while before settling on psych. There is a lot of overlap between anthro and medicine. There are even MD/Health Anthro PhD's available at some schools. I also had an Anthro professor who took anatomy courses with med students while obtaining her PhD.

You guys are lucky, it is only offered as a BA here at UF. I had to complete a language requirement as well as statistics as part of the CLAS requirements for Anthro. Either way it shouldn't matter in the long run.