Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Anthropology at UCLA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Starlingbruin, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Starlingbruin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi, is anyone an anthropology major at UCLA? If so, do they offer medical anthropology courses or a specific medical anthro major?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pazan

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They offer a B.S. and B.A. in anthro... for the B.S., the medical school pre-requisites are required (chem, bio, phys, math), so it seems like the more practical major if you're a pre-med. The upper div classes vary, but they offer some in medical anthro. I took anthro 33 and liked the class -- the department has some interesting teachers and I think UCLA is generally regarded as a top 10 school for anthro.

4. pazan

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  5. n3opologist

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    UCLA does not offer a degree in medical anthropology. As was said, we have a b.s. in anthro, which is my major, but no medical anthro degree. Every spring there is a medical anthro class offered, but that's about it in terms of medical anthro course depth. There is an intellectual discussion group that meets every week to discuss medical anthro topics; it's called Mind, Medicine, and Culture. We have a hand full of anthropologists in the department doing medical antro. They are mainly associated with the CELF project (center for everyday life and families). There is a also a medical anthropologists who works for Geffen that is actively doing research.

So, although you can't major in medical anthro, there are many opportunities to do medical anthro research or get involved in the field. I thought I was interested in the field myself, and although I still find it provocative, it's definitely not for me! PM me if you have any other questions.

6. Sangria

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    there's no degree in medical anthropology, but there's a med anthro class