anti anxiety meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianoprofessional

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

just a quick q. does anybody know the policy on taking anti anxiety meds while in med school? my doctor thinks its a good idea for me to take it for my restless leg syndrome and chronic insomnia but i dont know how medical school will view this? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your doctor recommends it and it keeps you focused and studying no one is going to care. No one asks you what chronic medication you take in med school. It's when you become a problem by not controlling your issues is when it comes up.

Reactions: 1 user
the reason I am concerned is because we are drug tested when we begin and I am worried that If i show up positive for benzos, even with a script that I will be dismissed/or looked at differently by faculty or something along those lines... the truth is I do not have anxiety and those medications are most often for anxiety but can be used for my condition too...so I dont want the school/my professors feel that I can not do my job in the future do to anxiety problems when its really a different condition

Members don't see this ad :)
I am hoping that, that is all there is to it =/ I am worried about any consequnce that could jepordize my career.

OMG you are over thinking. Plus when you do the drug test you have to list all the medications that you take so it's not a shock. Medical school professors are doctors - remember that.

As long as you're taking drugs legally and with a valid prescription, you will be absolutely fine. Schools won't know you are taking prescription medications anyways before acceptance. Also, the agency giving the drug test is prohibited in giving your personal health information to your school. If you test positive and have a valid prescription, the faculty would not know. The school may know, but only as a "need to know" basis. They won't just tell the faculty about it.

You are protected by federal law with HIPAA. Don't be anxious about something as trivial as this.