anti cancer drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buddindoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does any one have a mnemonic or a easier way to memorize the cancer drugs...what drugs for which cancers anything however crude it may be...please share
tons of thanks
buddindoc:D

Members don't see this ad.

does any one have a mnemonic or a easier way to memorize the cancer drugs...what drugs for which cancers anything however crude it may be...please share
tons of thanks
buddindoc:D

I would guess that memorizing the specific cancers for which a particular chemotherapeutic is used is very low yield, if it comes up at all.

Knowing mechanisms for these drugs is much more important, as are unique side effects.

what about micro pharm? i understand the mechanisms and sideeffects. but i dont really understand what drug to use with what infection, etc.

medicinehopeful : in the 2006 first aid there is a chart,u might have seen it .Its after the micro section,use that as a rough guide it helps.
lord jeebus :thanks for the info.i kinda understand the mechanisms..but it was killing me to mrmorize the dz and chemo drugs whith the overlap... i feel better now

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it might be important to know when drugs are targeted for a specific cancer --- like imatinib for CML, Herceptin for her2/neu-positive breast cancers, etc. But, then again, I haven't taken the test yet. :)

what about micro pharm? i understand the mechanisms and sideeffects. but i dont really understand what drug to use with what infection, etc.

I would recommend knowing what covers gram positives, negatives, and anaerobes. This alone will get you far.

Beyond that, perhaps memorize some treatments for really common things: popular STDs, C. diff colitis, etc.

I actually still remember 2 questions relating to antibiotic choice that were not straightforward (very cleverly written Qs), and I wish I could explain further but I can't without sharing too much detail. I'm not clever enough to come up with something similar. Pay attention to anything interesting you learn about picking antibiotics in class...

so last night as i was listening to kaplan dvd lectures on anti cancer drugs..by "trevor" of katzung and trevor fame.he mentioned twice that its not imp to know what drugs for which cancer but MECHANISMS and TOXICITIES are more imp.
((me thinks lord jeebus is trevors son));)
thanks all

so last night as i was listening to kaplan dvd lectures on anti cancer drugs..by "trevor" of katzung and trevor fame.he mentioned twice that its not imp to know what drugs for which cancer but MECHANISMS and TOXICITIES are more imp.
((me thinks lord jeebus is trevors son));)
thanks all
hey buddindoc,
does trevor mentin a list of "hy' drugs in those kaplan lectures? should be around 10 to 20 'must know' drugs.......

any idea?

thanks,
Knight

Our professor here who has been teaching for a damn long time and has reviewed board Q's said its about cell-cycle specific (CCS) vs. non cell cycle specific (NCCS). If CCS, where is it working? Lastly mechanisms and "hallmark" toxicities (doxorubicin and the heart). The target tissue/cancer type is not really tested although I agree that it would be good to know the big ones as mentioned above such as Gleevec and CML and Tamoxifen (breast, ER +).

hey buddindoc,
does trevor mentin a list of "hy' drugs in those kaplan lectures? should be around 10 to 20 'must know' drugs.......

any idea?

thanks,
Knight

yep he mentions them actually 10 if u need to know which they are let me know,i will post it.i have most of them and the rest may be 2-3 more in a week.
tata

thanks GOS2,and would you pleae tell me what he said about G+ and G- organisms there is a whole bunch.i know mechanisms matter but good lord,there is f@%&* so many which work on the same organism.
thanks

these are the ones i have so far .know thenm inside out interactions ,cyt p450,toxicites antidotes ...basically everything.i will post the rest as soon as i finish listening to him.
warfarin
ach
quinidine
asa
dig
phenytoin
cyclosporin
methotrexate

I think it might be important to know when drugs are targeted for a specific cancer --- like imatinib for CML, Herceptin for her2/neu-positive breast cancers, etc. But, then again, I haven't taken the test yet. :)

Point taken, but I wouldn't learn the Her2/neu drug as "Herceptin."

Its generic name is trastuzumab. "Herceptin" won't be on the exam.

I think "microbiology made ridiculously simple" may help to memorize some antibiotics.

these are the ones i have so far .know thenm inside out interactions ,cyt p450,toxicites antidotes ...basically everything.i will post the rest as soon as i finish listening to him.
warfarin
ach
quinidine
asa
dig
phenytoin
cyclosporin
methotrexate

update:he does not mention anymore drugs,other than the ones I listed before.know these well and interactions with other drugs
goodluck
b