Anti Cancer Drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cue68

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I just recently started studying for the boards and I'm kind of confused about the anti-cancer modalities. How in-depth do we have to go into for these? Just know the mechanisms and the side-effects or the whole 9 yards with which cancers are treated with what? I can understand knowing major things such as Imatinib for CML and how it's mediated through tyrosine kinase but do we have to know it for all of them.

Any feedback in regards to this would be quiet helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I very much doubt that the clinical use of traditional chemotherapeutics will ever be asked in Step 1. I think anything in the little Katzung (Pharmacology Examination & Board Review) is fair game.

Know the major/unique side effects and mechanisms. Very high yield.

Knowing what cancer they're used to treat is almost worthless for STEP 1.

Agreed. I just took the exam on friday, and there were no questions asking what drug is used to treat which cancer. It was mainly about mechanisms and side effects. That's all you need to know for these drugs. Oh and it will also be helpful to know which drug acts in which phase of the cell cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good. Just made my life a lot easier.
Thanks for the quick feedback. Truly appreciated. :)

Part of the reason for this is because there is so much overlap between specific cancers and treatments and vice versa. Its kinda pointless to ask that to anyone who's not an oncologist.

But the same thing applies for anti microbials...there's even more overlap. So does Step 1 only require you to know MOA and ADRs for antimicrobials as well? It would make sense if it did.

Antibiotics are a different story. They do ask for specific indications. For example, kid walks in with gonorrhea, what do you treat him with? (azithro + ceftriaxone). Syphilis, Legionella, Toxoplasma, Herpes etc. - the ones where it's clear there's one best initial treatment. That kind of stuff. I don't think they expect you to know empiric meningitis treatment in an adult vs an elderly man vs a neonate.

Antibiotics are a different story. They do ask for specific indications. For example, kid walks in with gonorrhea, what do you treat him with? (azithro + ceftriaxone). Syphilis, Legionella, Toxoplasma, Herpes etc. - the ones where it's clear there's one best initial treatment. That kind of stuff. I don't think they expect you to know empiric meningitis treatment in an adult vs an elderly man vs a neonate.

Thanks good to know.