Anti Social Personality Disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pschmom1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone was truly interested in psycopaths? I tend to have a facination with them and I've never heard anyone reference them in a serious manor in the psychiatry forums. I'm not exactly sure why I'm so facinated with them, but I would really like to do some research on this subject one day. Other than schizophrenia (another major interest) it seems to be the most interesting, unexplainable, and unpredictable mental illness to my knowlege. Like they say, if only I were a fly on the wall, I say, If only I were a fly in the brain of a psychopath. Just to rally understand what they are thinking and how they feel. Once I am officially a psychiatrist of course. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Not to start a flame war, but why do you consider ASPDs "mentally ill"?

I favor the explanations offered by the evolutionary psychiatrists, who view them as having a high risk adaptive strategy. Through this prism, their behavior is not unexplainable or unpredictable. It is (sadly) highly rational.

As far as I know, the only successful treatment of ASPDs is waiting for them to age (e.g. three strikes law, etc..).

:rolleyes:
pschmom1 said:
Just curious if anyone was truly interested in psycopaths? I tend to have a facination with them and I've never heard anyone reference them in a serious manor in the psychiatry forums. I'm not exactly sure why I'm so facinated with them, but I would really like to do some research on this subject one day. Other than schizophrenia (another major interest) it seems to be the most interesting, unexplainable, and unpredictable mental illness to my knowlege. Like they say, if only I were a fly on the wall, I say, If only I were a fly in the brain of a psychopath. Just to rally understand what they are thinking and how they feel. Once I am officially a psychiatrist of course. ;)

I agree with your response Miklos - but it takes time to learn these things - I wish Sazi's request would go through so everyone's avatar would show where they are in the scheme of things ie. college student, med student, resident, attending

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider forensic psychiatry. In the meantime, read some books and journal articles. Unfortunately, (or fortunately?), most criminals are somewhat unsophisticated with poor coping skills, impulse problems and/or personality disordered.

The small fraction that is truly 'fascinating' can be very much so...especially in exciting applied situations, such as profiling.

Poety is right, it does take time to learn these things and I do have a lot to learn. Since you were concerned Poety, I am currently working on my BS and majoring in psychology. Yes, I have a long way to go, that is why I am here asking questions.

As for the response from Miklos, I was concidering ASPD "mentally ill" because that is how people with ASPD have been referenced so far throughout my education. I however, do not have extensive knowlege about ASPD, but I am aware that there is no treatment other than time (nor was that a question) and also aware of what I have been taught and how the DSM-IV refers to ASPD. Again, back to why I concider ASPD "mentally ill", I will reference the DSM-IV, "Personality disorders form a class of mental disorders (ie. mental illness/mental disorder is a disorder of the brain that results in a disruption in a persons thinking, feeling, moods, and ability to relate to others), Personality disorders are seen by the American Psychiatric Association as an induring pattern of inner experience and behaviour that deviates markedly from expectations of the culture of the individual who exhibits it". I am not aware of the evolutionary psyciatrists explanation or their prisms other than what you have stated, but from what I have so far obtained, I would venture to guess from the information stated above and my current knowlege on the subject, that the deviant behaviour displayed by people with ASPD is unpredictable, unexplainable, and not rational. However, I am no profesional and I'm extremely interested in the topic so I am open to any information about it. Like I said, I am learning and still have a while to go :) .

pschmom1 said:
Poety is right, it does take time to learn these things and I do have a lot to learn. Since you were concerned Poety, I am currently working on my BS and majoring in psychology. Yes, I have a long way to go, that is why I am here asking questions.

As for the response from Miklos, I was concidering ASPD "mentally ill" because that is how people with ASPD have been referenced so far throughout my education. I however, do not have extensive knowlege about ASPD, but I am aware that there is no treatment other than time (nor was that a question) and also aware of what I have been taught and how the DSM-IV refers to ASPD. Again, back to why I concider ASPD "mentally ill", I will reference the DSM-IV, "Personality disorders form a class of mental disorders (ie. mental illness/mental disorder is a disorder of the brain that results in a disruption in a persons thinking, feeling, moods, and ability to relate to others), Personality disorders are seen by the American Psychiatric Association as an induring pattern of inner experience and behaviour that deviates markedly from expectations of the culture of the individual who exhibits it".

Not to be flippant, but there's a reason that the personality disorders are listed on Axis II. Note also that the personality disorders are defined against cultural expectations.

I am not aware of the evolutionary psyciatrists explanation or their prisms other than what you have stated, but from what I have so far obtained, I would venture to guess from the information stated above and my current knowlege on the subject, that the deviant behaviour displayed by people with ASPD is unpredictable, unexplainable, and not rational. However, I am no profesional and I'm extremely interested in the topic so I am open to any information about it. Like I said, I am learning and still have a while to go :) .

Are you familiar with Occam's razor?