Antibiotics and Step II CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genswim24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a tough time remembering the best antibiotics to use for certain diseases and what coverage they have. Did anyone find a concise source to help review antibiotics for Step II CK? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Infectious disease section of SUTM is pretty good. Secrets also covers most diseases

Members don't see this ad :)
My approach is really to think about the kind of organisms you want to cover for. For instance, if you suspect an oral flora, you want to make sure you want to cover anaerobic organisms. The two atbxs that are commonly used for this purpose are metronidazole and clindamycin. I found that for step 3, the things are tested the most aren't necessarily the choice of antibiotics, but rather their side effects.

Memorizing a list is good,but understanding each antibiotic's coverage and the most common organism underlying the infection are what's going to make that list sticks in your head.

Last edited:
Memorizing abx minutiae is low yield for step 2. Classic side effects are all that you need to know. At most you will get just a few questions.

Memorizing abx minutiae is low yield for step 2. Classic side effects are all that you need to know. At most you will get just a few questions.

I just took the test and have to agree with this. I only used the info I gained in the wards, UWorld, and Step up. It was more than enough. I am glad I didn't spend too much time memorizing all of the Antibiotics.