Anticipating bullying and/or retaliation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiPsych

Reaction score
I’m in a very tricky situation. Hoping you can help. I am in the beginning of practicing medicine as a physician in a non-U.S. country. I am not yet licensed.

I am currently in psychiatry. I’ve worked here previously and was subjected to severe sexual harassment and discrimination by staff. I decided to quit because of these incidents. When reporting them, my boss just laughed at me.

When I left I got a letter of recommendation wherein my boss retaliated against me.

I am now back in the same workplace and have to be here for five months in order to get my license.

What should I expect? How should I behave in order to sail through this without further retaliation? I have to pass this clinical rotation. Performing will not be difficult for me. My current boss is now another person, but the previous one is still in the organization and very powerful with a lot of influence.

I am planning on documenting all transgressions. Maybe preemptively discussing my situation with a lawyer?

In my country discrimination and retaliation is unlawful, but you can never be personally held accountable. You can sue the organization for maximum $10.000. So basically, not an option.

I don’t want to sue. Just want to pass. How would you handle this type of situation?

So far my plan is as follows:
- Continually documenting stellar performance.
- Document anything weird happening
- Maybe talk to a lawyer just to familiarize myself with different options.
- Avoid being alone with bullies.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to give you specific advice, especially if you're not in the US - I am not familiar with customs and laws in other countries outside of the US. But definitely speak to a lawyer and know your options. That's probably the first step.

Reactions: 4 users