Anticonvulsant drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Kaplan pharma book has a table showing first line drugs for a certain seizure state and back-up drugs if the first line drugs don't work or have adverse effects.

2005 First Aid has a much simpler table showing which drugs can be used in which seizure disorder. There's no mention of first line or second line.

Anthony Trevor emphasized learning the Kaplan table, but the videos I'm using are a little dated. Is this whole first line/second line stuff not-important anymore... hence it's omission from 2005 FA?

Members don't see this ad.

DrPak said:
The Kaplan pharma book has a table showing first line drugs for a certain seizure state and back-up drugs if the first line drugs don't work or have adverse effects.

2005 First Aid has a much simpler table showing which drugs can be used in which seizure disorder. There's no mention of first line or second line.

Anthony Trevor emphasized learning the Kaplan table, but the videos I'm using are a little dated. Is this whole first line/second line stuff not-important anymore... hence it's omission from 2005 FA?

For Step 1, I doubt you need to know first line and second line treatment options. Just know the big epileptic drugs and the side effects, pregancy profile, etc. Know the drug (ethosuximide) you'd give for an absence seizure, etc.