antidepressants and hypertension patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krystal2812

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone please help me to answer this question:

Which antidepressant should be avoided for a patient having BP of 130/85?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did you even try to google "antidepressants and hypertension" before posting?

It depends. Some classes of anti-depressants more commonly have related BP side effects, but within class there can be some variance. Consult the PDR or related reference for particulars. The information is also easily found online.

It is worth noting that sometimes if a med is providing the desired clinical response after multiple prior failed trials across med classes, the med is kept because the alternative options wouldn't provide adequate clinical response. Adjunct meds can be added to help with side effects.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are several factors at play that someone trainined in medicine (ideally a psychiatrist) should review with you... or perhaps conducting a literature review through PsychInfo, Pubmed, Googlescholar.. or perhaps even WebMD if you are simply curious. I'm not sure of the purpose of this inquiry, but I do not think that the clinical psychology forum is the place where this should be answered. Even those of us trained in B. Med or working in hospital settings are not qualified to provide medical advice.

This could be a medical advice question, but on the surface it does not appear to be. There is no easy answer for this, but in general one would be less likely to utilize drugs which inhibit reuptake of NE or DA. Keep in mind that hypertension is not a singular thing with a single cause, and can be quite complicated. The best bet for anyone not medically trained is to have the patient's physician monitor this and any medications that may be used....period.