Antioch UNE Clinical Psy D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smithfield2020

Reaction score
My friend is considering going to Antioch UNE in the fall for a Psy D. in Clinical Psych. She doesn't have an account on here so I'm posting on her behalf. Any advice about this program?

Members don't see this ad.

My friend is considering going to Antioch UNE in the fall for a Psy D. in Clinical Psych. She doesn't have an account on here so I'm posting on her behalf. Any advice about this program?
Is there a fee for creating accounts now?

I've not heard much one way or the other about the program, but I believe there are a few prior threads, including the one you previously posted (Here), a thread about the interview process (Here), an older thread about the program with some posts that showed up a few years later (Here), and a variety of posts in the WAMC sticky that show up via search.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Objective review- Relatively poor APA internship match rates. High % of students taking 6-7 years to finish degree. Tuition around 40k per year. High proportion of dissertations are non-experimental

Subjectively- Relatively poor reputation in the area (I live nearby). I know of more than one agency where applications from this program go into the “do not hire” bin. Historically, many dissertations have been of questionable quality and only tangentially related to the science and practice of clinical psychology (though this seems to have improved recently).

Honestly, the 40k price tag should be all you need to hear. That’s just a set-up for future financial difficulties, particularly if financed with loans.

Reactions: 4 users
visible.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, that raven one, imho, was a little strange. The others, as far as topics go, are no more or less strange or focused on relatively small populations or isolated phenomenon then some dissertations I've seen from more reputable programs. My issue is not so much with the topics, but with the methods and overall purposes of the studies. While it can be fine line, they just seem to be conducted and written in a way that is more sociology than clinical psychology. In particular, the "Experience of Cool" one seem more of an ethnograpy. There is just such a reliance on qualitative methods, without the control (both in subject recruitment and experimental methodology) of what you might typically see in and experimental diss from a clinical ph.d. program. It more of a stretch to apply any of it to the practice of clinical psychology. Kind of curious when you take it in light of the comments on the William James Website where they derogatorily say that clinical psych PhD programs offer a degree in "philosophy" rather than "psychology." This stuff is real heavy on the philosophy side of things.

Yeah, that raven one, imho, was a little strange. The others, as far as topics go, are no more or less strange or focused on relatively small populations or isolated phenomenon then some dissertations I've seen from more reputable programs. My issue is not so much with the topics, but with the methods and overall purposes of the studies. While it can be fine line, they just seem to be conducted and written in a way that is more sociology than clinical psychology. In particular, the "Experience of Cool" one seem more of an ethnograpy. There is just such a reliance on qualitative methods, without the control (both in subject recruitment and experimental methodology) of what you might typically see in and experimental diss from a clinical ph.d. program. It more of a stretch to apply any of it to the practice of clinical psychology. Kind of curious when you take it in light of the comments on the William James Website where they derogatorily say that clinical psych PhD programs offer a degree in "philosophy" rather than "psychology." This stuff is real heavy on the philosophy side of things.

Oh, the titles I chose were for entertainment value for sure. However, I agree with you. What they are calling a dissertation seems more often like a lit review, position paper, or qualitative sociological research than proper psychology research. It does make me question the depth of their understanding of psychological research overall as well as their ability to be educated consumers. I mean an N=3 research paper on the effectiveness of moonbeam therapy might seem convincing to them.

I know two graduates who both say they think the program has gone downhill since they were there, and they wouldn't recommend it. Both are still fairly early career psychologists, which is notable.