Antisocial PD/Psychopathy/Adult Antisocial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DSM IV TR has in the future research section a little blurb on "Adult Antisocial Behavior" Anyone on here given any thought as to how it might look when there are 3 very similar disorders in the future--namely Antisocial PD, Adult Antisocial Behavior and Psychopathy, which is prevailing now as a distinct PD? Seems a little a too nuanced for a simplton who goes to a professional school like myself. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The adult antisocial behevior is for antisocial actions that are not consistent with a deliberate attempt to violate the rights of others as a personality style.
Psychopathy is measured through psychometric testing (Hare) as well as several personality dimensions and usually contians a fair amount of narcissism as well. Since right now the DSM has APD as a risk factor for psychopathy (a positions for which there is no evidence) I welcome the opportunity to ditinguish these conditions if nothing else then for the purposes of adaquately researching the field. There is a wealth of data suggesting psychopaths do not need to be criminals or antisocial and that APD does nothing to predict the presence of psychopathy. So this is good in my opinion.

My current study is administering Hare's P-scan + Dowd/Milne Therapeutic Reactance Scale at intake to offenders mandated to be in domestic violence intervention group. We are trying to predict who will terminate early. I am definitely familiar the construct of psychopathy, and I too am wondering where the APD predictor stuff came from. It seems like the more I read about these three disorders conceptually, the less I understand.