Antwon takes MCAT ice cold and gets 28Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by me9
http://www.antwon.com/?d=mcat

Your thoughts?

I think its BS

well of course it is BS. Someone should email him and ask him to scan a copy of his results. Anyone could write what he did. He was probably bullied or made to feel stupid by some pre-med so he took a few hours of his day to get him back. Afterall, there are a lot of pre-meds who are @ssholes.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but he didnt give any kind of proof. If I were him and wanted to make a point I would have scanned the test. A scanned test would mean a lot. It is easy to get access to a scanner nowadays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
More proof that the MCAT is not based on memorization.

Where is the proof? lol... you can't be that gullible. Perhaps I will create a website about how I have been to Jupiter and back and I bet you will believe that too! :rolleyes:

whatever, it could be true. The MCAT is just like that.....unpredictable at best or your nightare at worst.

Hmm what would honestly be his reasons for lying? If he didn't do that well he just didn't have to post anything. I would think the score to be credible.

I see no reason to not believe him. I think the test is mostly reading comprehension anyhow, on the assumption that you have the requisite understanding, which isn't that much. Programmers think iteratively, and that's the sort of mentality that's always helped me through standardized tests. I imagine if he were to fake the results, he would have given himself higher scores in verbal reasoning and writing. My question is which of the four requisite courses had he taken in college, and what classes did he take in HS? I think that you also have to recognize that not everyone takes the expensive courses he's talking about, or done the in-depth studying to which he alludes. Firstly, about half of all test-takers take the MCAT twice. People on SDN generally take their pre-med experience very seriously, but I think there's a huge crowd of people beyong SDN who don't do any studying for the MCAT. I can also say that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some people deliberately tank the MCAT because their parents are pushing them into medicine, and they don't want to go to med school--it would be the single easiest way to get out of it. Finally, having nothing to lose makes test taking easier. The dude had no stress at all, and no struggles with second-guessing himself, and above all, that would have given him plenty of time to finish the test.

I think fear is the mind-killer.

Originally posted by bgreet
Hmm what would honestly be his reasons for lying? If he didn't do that well he just didn't have to post anything. I would think the score to be credible.

i agree...there seems to be no credible reason for lying...if he wanted to make up a score, he could have said something around 30 or above...but, he did in fact say 28...

is there anyway to contact him so that maybe someone can ask him to post a prinout of his scores???:rolleyes:

just an idea...

He recieved donations from regulars on his site to pay for the cost of the exam. (I think he actually sold items and took some profit off the top). All he was wasting was his time. The scores he posted weren't unreasonable when you consider the background presented. The guy writes articles for a website and has an extensive computer science background. These facts account for his good scores in PS, and VR. The score posted in biology is the hardest to believe, but I again hold that with a little luck and good testing skills that is is very possible.

~AS1~

Originally posted by Wrigleyville
The test just isn't that hard. I think anyone who is fairly smart would do well on it.

I agreed, the MCAT is not hard, there are so many more tests that are much harder than the MCAT. Anybody who are at least decently smart can do well on this test without studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied for the mcat before I converted to pre-dental. I studied for a little over 2 weeks and ended up with a 30Q. It's not a very difficult test (except for the verbal).

My scores

PS:12
BS:12
Verbal:6 (gg my reading skills ****ing blow)
writing: Q

Good for Antwon. I would've made a better score too had I walked into the exam room with nothing at stake.

It's kinda silly that people study for the MCAT hardcore anyway. No one can predict the kind of questions he/she will see, and people aren't all given the same exam, even if they take it on the same day.

Reading for and taking the MCAT were two of the most boring things I have ever done in my life. Thank god i got accepted to med school the first time, because I would've never taken that exam again. :sleep:

i dont doubt the guys honesty one bit, good test taking skills can get you above average (25) provided you can think on your feet.

what i do doubt is this guys sanity.
who the he|| slaps down 200 bucks to take an 8 hour test for fun? If that's what he's into, i'll glady beat him with a baseball bat for 25 bucks an hour.

Originally posted by R_C_Hutchinson
i dont doubt the guys honesty one bit, good test taking skills can get you above average (25) provided you can think on your feet.

what i do doubt is this guys sanity.
who the he|| slaps down 200 bucks to take an 8 hour test for fun? If that's what he's into, i'll glady beat him with a baseball bat for 25 bucks an hour.

haha.. i think it's definately possible, but why didnt he provide proof? A scanned copy of the results would have added a lot to his article.

The test just isn't that hard. I think anyone who is fairly smart would do well on it.

You should be glad you are not being flamed for this statement. Saying the MCAT is easy on a premed site is taboo. I was accused of all sort of things for making this point a few months back.

I dont really think the mcat is that hard either (dont smite me mcat gods). My first score from a practice test was close to a 30 and thats without having had these classes in a few year. I am not bragging because I really am not all that smart - i am just a good test taker.

Eh, it's really not *that* uncommon to use standardized tests for amusement purposes. Heck, even my party-animal dad randomly showed up for graduate exams back in the day. :p

I have a friend who will be taking both the MCAT and the GRE-Biochem this April. He claims he's doing it in case he needs to argue his way off the MIT waitlist, but that's bull, he's doing it for fun / to show me up. That's masochistic in its own right, but since he's a HS senior, he will have to take several other insane MCAT-length exams (olympiad qualifiers) in that same few weeks. (But he *gets* paid for taking those and doing well, so it's not as bad.)

And who makes it out of HS without randomly showing up for an AP exam or two? I've also seen people try to purposefully miss every question on the SATs, just to prove they can. Harder than it looks. And then on things like state standardized tests...they used to keep statewide records on who finished first, and damn, it got vicious. They no longer do it formally, but our school still has informal betting pools.

Granted, I have really nerdy friends. Your mileage may vary. But the point is, people do stuff like this for random amusement...and not necessarily because they want to be bludgeoned by R_C_Hutchinson up there :laugh:

Many premeds would agree with you...until they take it the first time and get a 25 because they assumed their normal brilliance would lead to a high score without too much work on their part.

Then they have to come back a second time, having realized that being "fairly smart" is not enough. You either need to be a good test-taker, or you need to learn good strategy. I saw lots of people who are way smarter than me do way worse on the MCAT.

Originally posted by Sunflower189
I have a friend who will be taking both the MCAT and the GRE-Biochem this April. He claims he's doing it in case he needs to argue his way off the MIT waitlist, but that's bull, he's doing it for fun / to show me up. That's masochistic in its own right, but since he's a HS senior, he will have to take several other insane MCAT-length exams (olympiad qualifiers) in that same few weeks. (But he *gets* paid for taking those and doing well, so it's not as bad.)

I'd be interested to know how he fairs. I took those same two tests last April, two weeks apart. I rocked the MCAT, but the GRE biochem exam bent me over its knee and spanked me unmerciful.