anxiety goes away after acceptance? :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAI786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was really nervous after the interviews, waiting for acceptance (as I'm sure most people are). When I recieved my first acceptance letter I was ecstatic, thinking all my worries were over for the rest of undergrad! That feeling only lasted a few days and now I'm worried again and I have absolutely NO clue why!!!!! :oops: . Anyone else feel the same way? If so, why do you think it is?

Members don't see this ad.

This is currently happening to me. I have two DO acceptances (only applied to two), then I got waitlisted at Penn State. To make matters worse, I just got an interview invite to the University of Kentucky.

Penn State has a lot of waitlist movement which means I'll probably get off that list. To make matters worse, even if I get waitlisted at UK, their waitlist moves a ton also. To make matters even worse, one of the DO schools is my state school (read: tuition is low), but I like this particular school a hell of a lot less then the other school I got into.

Awesome, I have no ****ing clue what Im doing.

haha, thats like optional worrying. truly, you're already in a position where you don't need to, but the opportunity is there if you really like to worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always worry. As soon as I finish one thing, the worry about the next thing starts.

It sucks.

Buckeye(OH) said:
This is currently happening to me. I have two DO acceptances (only applied to two), then I got waitlisted at Penn State. To make matters worse, I just got an interview invite to the University of Kentucky.

Penn State has a lot of waitlist movement which means I'll probably get off that list. To make matters worse, even if I get waitlisted at UK, their waitlist moves a ton also. To make matters even worse, one of the DO schools is my state school (read: tuition is low), but I like this particular school a hell of a lot less then the other school I got into.

Can I ask what you weren't crazy about at OU-COM? Just curious...in case I get lucky enough to interview there. :D

Thanks-

I HATE Athens.

Furthermore, in regards to rotations, I don't like the fairly large chance that I won't be be where I want to be.

Im not a country boy.

However, the price is appealing and makes one wonder if the 60k extra that CCOM would cost me is really worth it.

Afterall, that is 1/2 a Porsche 911 Turbo.

Buckeye(OH) said:

Just letting you know last year Penn State didn't have a lot of movement. I was one of those left on the waitlist. ( I probably wouldn't have gone anyway...but I digress)

You have to weigh your options. One of the reasons I picked my school over CCOM/AZCOM was for the tuiton and the location. I also feel pretty much at ease here. Make sure you go where your happy and what works best with you. 40 K savings to me was a big thing.

I kind of know what you guy's are talking about, with the worry. I just got through having dinner with one of the IM docs at our hospital. I explained to her that, when I was waiting to get in I thought once I did I wouldn't worry anymore. I mean most schools graduate most of the class so once your in, jump through this and that hoop and they call you doctor, right? (i know little more to it than that, but....) So now I find myself reading all this stuff about residency, how am I going to get a good residency etc. She told me that once you get in school you really quit worrying about all that. First of all, your so busy you don't have time to really live anywhere but the moment. Made me feel better, hope it does you guys who are where i am.

"Don't worry, be happy.." :)

TAI786 said:
I was really nervous after the interviews, waiting for acceptance (as I'm sure most people are). When I recieved my first acceptance letter I was ecstatic, thinking all my worries were over for the rest of undergrad! That feeling only lasted a few days and now I'm worried again and I have absolutely NO clue why!!!!! :oops: . Anyone else feel the same way? If so, why do you think it is?
I feel the exact same way! I was elated to hear from KCOM, but now I am thinking their tuition is way too high. I am on the wait list for my in-state school OSU-COM and haven't heard back from OUHSC-COM. I don't know whether to start packing for KCOM or just hang tight for the other schools. The bad part is I don't really like OSU or OU.....so I don't know what to wish. I think our career path is no easy path. Maybe we are supposed to be worriers. Maybe that is what makes us pay so much attention to details....and maybe worring about the small stuff will prevent us from killing someone when we FINALLY become Doctors. Wow, that really sounds good. We are going to be doctors! :eek:

I thought I was the only one! I was accepted to my first choice OU-COM, but then recently got accepted to NEOUCOM (an MD program). Now i don't know what to do. If I went to NEOUCOM i could live at home, wouldn't have to worry about a long distance relationship and save tons of money...but I don't know if I can see myself there. OU-COM is a few hours away, in the middle of nowhere, but the people were great and the oppurtunities seem endless. Not to mention that thoughts of "what am i getting myself into." I mean I love medicine, and its what I want to do...but there are days when it all seems so overwhelming. I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one!

Robz said:
Just letting you know last year Penn State didn't have a lot of movement. I was one of those left on the waitlist. ( I probably wouldn't have gone anyway...but I digress)

You have to weigh your options. One of the reasons I picked my school over CCOM/AZCOM was for the tuiton and the location. I also feel pretty much at ease here. Make sure you go where your happy and what works best with you. 40 K savings to me was a big thing.

Im hoping for Kentucky. Its my top choice.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I HATE Athens.

Furthermore, in regards to rotations, I don't like the fairly large chance that I won't be be where I want to be.

Im not a country boy.

However, the price is appealing and makes one wonder if the 60k extra that CCOM would cost me is really worth it.

Afterall, that is 1/2 a Porsche 911 Turbo.
to be honest with you if you are wanting to go to c-bus it might be a little difficult. I know that it is shaping up to be a struggle in my class. Don't come here if you don't think you will be happy. School is hard enough without dissatisfaction with the area in which you live.

I'm having the same problems.
I got into LECOM Erie's ISP program, which I think would be an awesome fit for me and my learning style. I'm really not a morning person, either. I also got into TUCOM MI...the cost difference between the two makes me think twice. I also like the organized clinical experience at Erie..
but I hate the location and the weather, and I don't want to go back to the midwest.
TUCOM has great matches and I can potentially do residency out here.
Also, for Erie, I have to take some more chemistry b/c they won't take my AP credits...I'm so conflicted.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.
Good luck to everyone in the application process, congrats to all those who were accepted!

:p

DORoe said:
to be honest with you if you are wanting to go to c-bus it might be a little difficult. I know that it is shaping up to be a struggle in my class. Don't come here if you don't think you will be happy. School is hard enough without dissatisfaction with the area in which you live.

I agree. Some people I know are convinced that it is soooo easy to trade people rotation sites if you don't get where you want.

That isn't a risk Im willing to take.

Kentucky? ...I'll be there in August, just found out yesterday! Good luck!

Buckeye(OH) said:

Get Used to it, it is the only disease we have no treatment for as of yet....

AMEDICOCONFIDENCIOPSYCOSIS.... Pray! you dont get it, but unfortunately you likely will.....

Best of luck and Take It Easy!

DrDad

richarDsOn said:
Kentucky? ...I'll be there in August, just found out yesterday! Good luck!

UK not Pikeville (assuming you were talking about Pikeville)

Thanks though!