Anxious about your top choice? Read this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I admit that this winter has been a bit of a pain, because I have had free time. What did I do with it? Worry, like any good pre-med. I worried about getting in to this school or that, regretted doing one thing or not doing it, wondered if I had done something or another where would I be right now, etc. For all of you worried about getting into your top choice, or even into a medical school, I'd like to share a story my father shared with me.

My father graduated from Wayne State Medical School with honors about 30 years ago. He applied to ortho surgery residencies, and was flat out rejected everywhere during the Match and Scramble. Distraught, he was speaking with a friend about his application. His friend read his Dean's letter, and asked why my father had repeated a whole semester of medical school.

My father had not repeated a semester.

Turns out, the Dean's letter was not his. There had been a mixup, and my father had gotten someone else's letter with the same last name (In addition, that guy also got my dad's picture spot on the graduation wall, which I noticed when I interviewed there). This guy had failed his clinicals, and had overall done pretty poorly. This devastated my father, because despite all of the apologies that the Dean's of Wayne offered, there was nothing that they could do. All the residency spots in ortho were taken, and my father's military service contract was activated.

Eventually, my dad wound up in Trauma. He's been practicing it since then, and he's loved it. In his 30's, his hips began to wear out because of a defect. He can barely stand for prolonged periods of time. If he had done Ortho, he would no longer be able to practice without surgery and rehab. In the end, he landed what he needed to be happy and to provide for his family. He hammered into me that it wasn't what he had wanted or hoped for. In the end, though, he ended up where he needed to be. It helped me out, and I hope it helps some of you out too.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice warm story...
Some times things work out for the best, even when they do not seem to...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the post, I think I needed some of that re-assurance. I've been driving myself crazy since I've been home too.

I'm really glad that everything worked out for your dad, but it's so scary to think that a mixup like that could occur!

Thank you soo much for this post. I still worry (it's hard not to), but I am a firm believer that things will always work themselves out in the end.

I am a firm believer that life puts you where you need to be at the right place and time.

We may not understand and may not like it but in the end it is what is planned for us to do.

I wish I could have started med school earlier but I was not ready. Now, I am!

thanks for sharing, very inspirational

I'm really glad that everything worked out for your dad, but it's so scary to think that a mixup like that could occur!

Agree with Carlin. But that was definitely a good story. I'm really glad things worked out for your father. :thumbup: