Anxious, could use some honest advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpringDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting this as a separate thread...mods apologies in advance if this is breaking any rules...

Hi everyone,

Really could use some advice here. Quick backstory, I applied to med school, was accepted at a DO program in 2008. My wife passed away while I was in school and I decided to take a leave of absence. During my leave, I decided I really didn't want to work in a field where I had lives in my hands, and left med school after my second trimester (I was doing quite well, 3.6 gpa).

I took the DAT a couple months later, and did okay:
AA: 20
TS: 21
RC: 23
PAT: 17
QR: 16

My science GPA is 3.3 and total GPA is 3.5. I have applied to a bunch of schools all over, and got everything mailed in the first batch. I have shadowed for over 200 hours and am found a job in a really well regarded dental clinic until next August.

I guess my question is: what are my chances? How much will me leaving med school hurt me? Is that QR score going to crush me?

I think I did a good job explaining med school in my essay, but I wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks, everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Posting this as a separate thread...mods apologies in advance if this is breaking any rules...

Hi everyone,

Really could use some advice here. Quick backstory, I applied to med school, was accepted at a DO program in 2008. My wife passed away while I was in school and I decided to take a leave of absence. During my leave, I decided I really didn't want to work in a field where I had lives in my hands, and left med school after my second trimester (I was doing quite well, 3.6 gpa).

I took the DAT a couple months later, and did okay:
AA: 20
TS: 21
RC: 23
PAT: 17
QR: 16

My science GPA is 3.3 and total GPA is 3.5. I have applied to a bunch of schools all over, and got everything mailed in the first batch. I have shadowed for over 200 hours and am found a job in a really well regarded dental clinic until next August.

I guess my question is: what are my chances?
You have a good chance of getting into dental school.

How much will me leaving med school hurt me?
leaving med school will not hurt you because it seems like you have a legit reason.

Is that QR score going to crush me?
That QR is definitely not going to crush you. You have good scores.

Also, try calling the dental schools and asking. It might alleviate the anxiety :)

Good luck :thumbup:

your stats are competitive. taking a leave of absence cause your wife passed away( may god rest her soul) is deff fine. LEAVING medical school, on the other hand, will prob hurt you( how much, idk...and i hope you didnt mention in ur PS that you didnt want to deal with lives. and thats why you left med school. dont ever mention that in either an interview or PS.

Your QR WONT crush you, its fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well maybe I misstated what I meant by "lives". I don't want to confront mortality on an everyday basis, but I do want to provide life improving health care. I believe there is a distinction, and emphasized as much in my essays, specifically how dentistry can provide that balance...

Well maybe I misstated what I meant by "lives". I don't want to confront mortality on an everyday basis, but I do want to provide life improving health care. I believe there is a distinction, and emphasized as much in my essays, specifically how dentistry can provide that balance...

Dont worry, you are fine.

This seems to me to be the first case of a med student jumping ship that I can actually respect. You'll do great and will get in somewhere if you apply to many schools.

This seems to me to be the first case of a med student jumping ship that I can actually respect. You'll do great and will get in somewhere if you apply to many schools.

Yeah... he left with a good gpa.

Thanks for your help, everyone. It's been a stressful few years, I'm really hoping this works out. Really appreciate it.

That is awful. I wish you good luck and God bless! I am with the others and agree with them when they say you are fine.