any 2+ major/minor pre-meds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosereality

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm interested in double majoring in art & neuroscience along with pre-med. is this physically/mentally possible?

if you are a 2+ major/minor pre-med, can you fill out the following:
1. school
2. majors/minors
3. was it difficult handling the workload? and any advice for other 2+ major/minor pre-meds?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

By "2+ majors" do you mean more than 2? :confused:

Yes, that is very possible, especially because your neuroscience major will include many med school pre-reqs (chem and ochem, bio, maybe physics and calc).

1. Univ of California, San Diego
2. Political Science major, bio minor
3. Courseload ranged from easy to difficult, depending on number and difficulty of classes per quarter. Genetics, ochem, physics and stats was a VERY tough quarter, while ethics, calc 2, econ 10, and general chem was really easy.
Advice: Go for it, especially if you truly enjoy art.

Members don't see this ad :)
By "2+ majors" do you mean more than 2?

two or more. so if you are a double major, triple major, major/minor, double major/minor, etc

Triple - Religion, Philosophy, and Greek. I didn't take any summer school, and I did it in four years. Big However - I wasn't premed, and some of those humanities classes fulfilled requirements for more than one major and the "common curriculum" of required courses for graduation all at the same time. I took most of my pre-med classes post-bacc, but I could have taken all of them in summer school as an undergraduate, had I wanted or been able to.

This program took some fenageling (where is my dictionary?), and I had to stretch some rules to make it work. I arranged a bunch of independant studies in which I read philosophy or religion in Greek, which counted towards my Greek major and towards one of my other majors. Our core curriculem required that we take atleast one course focusing on a non-european culture, so I took Asian Religions, which fulfilled the core requirement and contributed to my Religion major...etc.

Most people may prefer to take a more diverse spectrum of classes. The way I did it worked well for me, though, because I was able to develop a very advanced understanding of my majors, since I was the only person in my classes who could read some of the religion and philosophy texts in their original language. Also, by satisfying my core requirements with classes in or related to my field, I was better able to assimilate new concepts (those of Anthropology, for example) within a familiar context (Ancient Israel, in the class "Anthropology of Ancient Israel").

Voila

I'm a Biology and Psych major/ Chem minor.
I'll be done in 4 years w/o any summer classes because I came in with 15 AP credits. My foreign language requirement got waived too, giving me plenty of time to take all the classes I needed. My bio and chem classes had a significant overlap with the premed courses, so that was not an issue. :)
If it will take you longer than 4 years to finish all your degress, I wouldn't recommend doing a double major unless you really like art. It's not going to have a huge impact when applying to med school.

hey,

i tripled in BME/EE/CS and minored in PoliSci/Chem...if you're going to go for mutliple degrees i would urge you to have a reason for pursuing them. i did BME/EE/CS because they were related and i wanted to have a complete grasp of BME with emphasis on both EE and CS...its helped tremendously to have a strong CS/EE background with my BME studies/research. I did a minor in PoliSci becuase this was an area in humanities that really picqued my interest and the chem minor came naturally after i did all the requirements for BME and premed.

In short...just have a reason to take the courses you take, don't do it because you think it may look impressive in front of an admissions committee. Looking back, I think I shouldn't have done the EE major, but rather have taken more BME classes instead.

gobblety_gook said:
hey,

i tripled in BME/EE/CS and minored in PoliSci/Chem...if you're going to go for mutliple degrees i would urge you to have a reason for pursuing them. i did BME/EE/CS because they were related and i wanted to have a complete grasp of BME with emphasis on both EE and CS...its helped tremendously to have a strong CS/EE background with my BME studies/research. I did a minor in PoliSci becuase this was an area in humanities that really picqued my interest and the chem minor came naturally after i did all the requirements for BME and premed.

In short...just have a reason to take the courses you take, don't do it because you think it may look impressive in front of an admissions committee. Looking back, I think I shouldn't have done the EE major, but rather have taken more BME classes instead.
:wow: how long did it take you to finish?

I don't care what people say, Pre-Med is not a major (nor should it qualify as a minor), it's a state of mind! @#$% :rolleyes:

I was a double major (bio and wellness promotion) and a chem minor. It is doable but be prepared to work your arse off.

I am double major, International Studies and Biology, with a minor in AFrican studies. My Intl Studies major and African studies minor coincide with another since my specific region of interst is West Africa. I did biology just cause of all the pre-med classes i had alreayd taken and i only needed a couple more to get the double major.
I did take a couple summer courses at a community college in between my freshmen and sophomore year to get rid of some general requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
i plan on majoring in neuroscience and possibly psychology, only because psych and neuro share alot of the same classes. I have thought about double majorring in neuro and german or art, but i think that would just be to hard for me. I will probably not leave me any slots to take the other miscellaneous courses that interest me.

Nursing and bio with chem minor
It was hard in the sense of clinicals being the last two years of the nursing program, thus I spent every single summer in school (plus the fact that I cheered which took up a ton of time in my opinion). If I could go back in time, I would probably pick one thing less demanding. Psych with something else seems a lot easier so I say go for it.

Yup, definitely possible. I'm a Religious Studies major, Politics minor, and have done all the pre-med requirements. Plus, my school has a ridiculously large number of GEs (10), and I survived. It's definitely possible, and it does add some nice balance to your life.

Chemistry and Religion/Eastern Philosophy majors, Microbiology minor. Yes it's doable and hell yes it helps! :thumbup:

I'm a biology and chemistry major, entering my senior year this fall. Don't know if this is significant since my school requires everyone to double major :rolleyes:.

ifailedmcat said:
I'm a biology and chemistry major, entering my senior year this fall. Don't know if this is significant since my school requires everyone to double major :rolleyes:.

what school do you go to and are there many required classes. ie. at my school, tulane, we need a certain number of classes from humanities, scoial science, art, and other disciplines, etc.

ifailedmcat said:

that's really weird

I majored in chemical engineering and physics at the University of Florida. It was a lot of work, but if you enjoy what you are doing, double majoring isn't so bad. It also helps if there is some overlap in courses, even a little bit.

Math and Physics major at Uva. Very busy but not too bad. Finished in 4 years.

I'm a Psyc major and a Bio and English Lit. double minor. It hasn't been difficult at all, in fact I think if I would have not minored in anything I think my college experience would have been way too mundane.

pathdr2b said:
Chemistry and Religion/Eastern Philosophy majors, Microbiology minor. Yes it's doable and hell yes it helps! :thumbup:

it helps with what? :confused:

gobblety_gook said:
hey,

u are a dukie, yes?

I am majoring in Biology, and minoring in chemistry and philosophy. I think this certainly doable. Also, note that I have a dual curriculum in that I have a full morning of religious studies classes, in addition to the major and dual minor.

hnbui said:
what school do you go to and are there many required classes. ie. at my school, tulane, we need a certain number of classes from humanities, scoial science, art, and other disciplines, etc.

Medikit said:
that's really weird

Haha yea..I go to Houston Baptist University, it's really small, around 5000 people. Everyone is required to double major so that if your first major doesn't follow through you have something to fall back on. It's not too bad because biology and chemistry share many of the same courses. The worst part is we don't even get recognized for the second degree. The degree we earn only shows one major..what a gyp.

Biology and Music with a minor in Biochem at the University of Colorado. The minor fit right into my Bio major. Five year program completed in 4.5 years with some IB credit and one summer school class. I also did an honors thesis in the last semester. Very doable but I didn't have the luxury of taking classes that weren't required since the two were so completely different. My schedule was very tricky to work out almost every semester.

I was a Bioengineering major/Latin minor at UCSD. It was tough, but graduated in four years. :) (Thank god for those AP clases! :) )

I'm an Athletic Training and Human Biology double major and Chem minor. The only thing that sucked about it was that sometimes the classes overlapped (athletic training curriculum is VERY structured), especially chemistry, and gen chem isn't offered at my school during the summer (insurance reasons, I think), so I had to commute 3 hours a day during one summer for 8 weeks for gen chem 2 before I took ochem in the fall. but it was worth it. another problem, kinda like the nursing person, clinicals were 20 hours a week in the afternoon and it would overlap with labs, but it's no different than an athlete being pre-med. so in the end, 5.5 years with 2 summers of classes.

BTW, overlapped as in classes at same time of day, not classes applying to both majors.

I'm majoring in Nursing and Biochemistry with minors in Biology and psychology. I'm a year behind so I figured I might as well get my moneys worth.

1. UT Austin
2. BA in Biology/ Business minor
3. It gives you variety so you don't get burned out from all hard pre-med classes. So if you can do it, or try it.. then go for it.

1. Washington University in St. Louis
2. Bio/History major and Music minor
3. It's definitely doable if you plan right