Any 3rd years on rotations through Christmas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSmiles

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to see what I am getting into next year... :rolleyes:
Are any 3rd years scheduled up until the 24/25th of December or are expected to do their rotations through the Christmas holiday?

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed some schools are off for two weeks during 3rd year for Christmas....

I am doing FP..and my rotation ends 1/2/04

I have a half day...done at noon on Christmas Eve
Off Christmas and the day after
Off at 4pm on New Years Eve
Off New Years Day and the day after...

NYCOM is off for two weeks ending on 12/29
LECOM is off for two weeks starting Monday
COMP marches right through...NO BREAK

Other schools....no idea

Sorry to hear you have to work through the holiday, Yosh...

Today I am very glad that I am a LECOM student, and I don't have to go back to my surgery rotation until January 5... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yosh,

you get that many days off! how in the .... did you pull that off.
I'm working tomorrow the 24th, hopefully til 1/2 day, off Christmas, but back the next day on full schedule til 7-8pm.
The same goes next week on New Years.
Arrrrg.

Guess that's how it's gonna be the rest of our medical career, unless of course we join a group and have someone else cover our schedule.

....gotta love good 'ol COMP, and I quote in paraphrase
"(Times) like these will happen throughout your lifetime, we
must be strong and continue on. People depend on you. "
- September 9, 2001

Our 3rd & 4th years work straight through unless they happen to be rotating with a physician who's office is closed. Next year I'll be in the hospital so I'll only get off if I get the scheduling luck of the draw. Right now my schedule has me in the same boat for 4th year, but I'm trying to change that. :D

In third year, our two week vacations are staggered throughout the year, so 3-4 people have their vacation at a time. (Last year, I happened to be one of the 4 lucky people off now. :)) In theory, everyone else works straight through, but most attendings will give you a day or two off.

In fourth year, we either have four weeks off in Nov-Dec or Dec-Jan for board prep/vacation, but that's a little more flexible. (A little- they're serious about it being board prep time.)

Paige

I think that if you're working on Christmas depends on the rotation that you're doing. True, that NYCOM 3rd years are off right now, but we'll be back at work on the 29th so who knows about New Years. I'll be doing my medicine rotation so I probably won't have off. However, if I were doing my FP rotation i would most likely be off Christmas and New Year's. It really does depend on the rotation. Medicine and Surgery probably wouldn't be as nice in terms of getting off whereas FP and maybe Psych would probably be a little nicer.