any acceptancees with low MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utahrebelPOD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just got my MCAT scores back and I bombed it with a 21,O. Im contemplating retaking it (which I will most likely do) but I was wondering if anyone has been accepted with such low scores? (similar to mine)

Members don't see this ad.

So, I just got my MCAT scores back and I bombed it with a 21,O. Im contemplating retaking it (which I will most likely do) but I was wondering if anyone has been accepted with such low scores? (similar to mine)

Are you applying DPM or DO??? For DPM, I hear this is 'okay,' for DO ... I'd retake it. Sure, people do get in with scores like this, but I wouldn't count on outliers in a situation such as this. Good luck. What day did you take the exam??

I agree with Jagger... take it over!

However, i am one of those people (although i got a bit higher then that) who got into about 5 DO and waitlisted at 2 MD schools with an MCAT that low-ish.....BUT (and a VERY large but) I had a 3.9 Science GPA (undergrad and grad) and an M.Sc. along with papers published .. so that mostly definitely saved my ass..

It can be done but honestly - just take it over as much as that test sucks..

Members don't see this ad :)

Unless you have a spectacular application aside from the MCAT, there's nothing to contemplate...you have to take it over.

Good luck. :luck:

i was accepted with exact same score to two schools (by the way my gpa was on the low side too...3.2 and i was art history major with nothing but just pre-reqs...you can check out the link to my apps it is in my signature) and i did so very early in apps process... my interviews were in late september...do i think it is good thing to retake? ofcourse...but it is possible to get in with your score...i think what helped me was other things in my application...schools do look at more then just numbers.
good luck!

Last edited:
Are you a hot sexy model? That alone is good enough ;)

Retake it.

You didn't tell us your gpa, but I still think that if you have a 4.0, you need at least a 24 or 25. If your gpa is less around 3.2-3.4, then you need a higher MCAT score. I think the thing with D.O. is they are cool with apps that are high MCAT low gpa (3.1-3.3 or so, 29+) But also cool with high GPA, low MCAT (3.8, 24-25).

Save yourself the headache, the waiting game of knowing if your getting an interview, or accepted/waitlisted/rejected really sucks. Just improve your MCAT to 25+. I think its easy to improve your score from 21 to 25, than 25 to 30.

Anyways, I my stats were 3.87, 25 and got in to all the schools I interviewed at. Good luck to what you ultimately decide on doing.

Retake. It will make a life a lot easier for you. I know studying for and taking the MCAT sucks but just think of it as prep for life as a med student.

Not that med school sucks. Just that your life will be devoted full time to studying, taking tests, and wasting time on SDN apparently.

I have friends who got in with a score like that. If I were you, I would submit your AACOMAS application as early as possible, and say that you are retaking the MCAT (I think there is a question about this on the primary application). That way, you will already have your application submitted, and you can add the new MCAT score when you get it.

DON'T make the mistake of waiting for your new MCAT score before you submit your AACOMAS primary. The earlier you have the application in, the better your chances.

I have friends who got in with a score like that. If I were you, I would submit your AACOMAS application as early as possible, and say that you are retaking the MCAT (I think there is a question about this on the primary application). That way, you will already have your application submitted, and you can add the new MCAT score when you get it.

DON'T make the mistake of waiting for your new MCAT score before you submit your AACOMAS primary. The earlier you have the application in, the better your chances.

great advice...if you do apply though make sure your ps kicks it and that you have fantastic LORs, ECs and something interesting to bring to the table...
i applied the first day the aacomas opened...
i received two interviewes with 21 mcat score and 3.2 gpa...by november i had acceptances at both schools...it is possible...i don't regret not retaking mcat because i am almost done with OMS I in my top choice school and i love it. The truth is that schools really do look at more then just numbers...i think it's a pre-med myth that numbers matter so much...especially for DO schools...
IMHO what is important and the best predictor for success in med school is determination.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into WVSOM with an OVERALL GPA of 3.03 (I was a dumb, immature freshman) and an MCAT of 24O. My application from a pure numbers standpoint was on the low end of the applicant pool, I suspect. I had what I would consider amazing LORs and I also had tons of clinical experience. You can be accepted with a low MCAT score; however, it is an inverse scale in accordance with GPA. If yours is high and you think you look good as an overall applicant, shoot for it. It couldn't hurt to take it one more time, though. Two hundred dollars in the long-run for taking a test and not needing to versus having to wait another year while wishing you had taken the test is definitely something to think about.

If it were me, I would take it again.

Hi,

I just read your post & I am compelled to ask you some questions. I have a similar O-GPA (3.02), and my post-bacc, Science-only GPA is ~3.5. I have yet to take the MCAT, but I can't seem to get over the fear that no one will ever be able to look past my GPAs. Can you offer some advice on how I can brighten my application, good MCAT score aside?

I have some research experience @ both of my undergrad schools in Psychology & Biology, and I'm currently shadowing a FP doctor. I have worked in a psychiatric inpatient unit in the past & am pursuing another Unit coordinator job @ a hospital (hopefully w/ those, I can add to clinical experience?)

Any other recommendations for spicing up my app?

P.S., I'm planning on applying for the 2010 year.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Hi,

I just read your post & I am compelled to ask you some questions. I have a similar O-GPA (3.02), and my post-bacc, Science-only GPA is ~3.5. I have yet to take the MCAT, but I can't seem to get over the fear that no one will ever be able to look past my GPAs. Can you offer some advice on how I can brighten my application, good MCAT score aside?

I have some research experience @ both of my undergrad schools in Psychology & Biology, and I'm currently shadowing a FP doctor. I have worked in a psychiatric inpatient unit in the past & am pursuing another Unit coordinator job @ a hospital (hopefully w/ those, I can add to clinical experience.

Thanks

I had a 2.9 sgpa and a 27Q MCAT and I was accepted to LECOM-E this year. I had a lot of volunteering and clinical experiences. My gpa over my last 80 credits was around a 3.7, including upper level bio and chem classes since I am a biology major. I worked hard to boost my gpa and get a pretty good MCAT. I'm sure I had good LORs but probably not fantastic ones. Try to do as well as you can on the MCAT and try to get some form of volunteering as well. You should be good to go though.

I am in a similar boat. I just got my scores from 3/28/09 MCAT and got a 25Q which I am fairly dissapointed with. I am really struggling because I feel like I am on the edge here. I have a 3.2 GPA with excellent LOR and extracirriculars so I really dont want to face the MCAT again...

I got accepted into WVSOM with an OVERALL GPA of 3.03 (I was a dumb, immature freshman) and an MCAT of 24O. My application from a pure numbers standpoint was on the low end of the applicant pool, I suspect. I had what I would consider amazing LORs and I also had tons of clinical experience. You can be accepted with a low MCAT score; however, it is an inverse scale in accordance with GPA. If yours is high and you think you look good as an overall applicant, shoot for it. It couldn't hurt to take it one more time, though. Two hundred dollars in the long-run for taking a test and not needing to versus having to wait another year while wishing you had taken the test is definitely something to think about.

If it were me, I would take it again.

Were you applying as an instate applicant?

I am in a similar boat. I just got my scores from 3/28/09 MCAT and got a 25Q which I am fairly dissapointed with. I am really struggling because I feel like I am on the edge here. I have a 3.2 GPA with excellent LOR and extracirriculars so I really dont want to face the MCAT again...

I got 5 interviews and 4 acceptances (other one still pending decision) with a 25R. Its totally possible. Just make sure you rock the rest of your application. Good luck!:)

I got 5 interviews and 4 acceptances (other one still pending decision) with a 25R. Its totally possible. Just make sure you rock the rest of your application. Good luck!:)

Where did you apply? I feel confident that my LOR and extracirriculars are well above average so I think that will help

11 VR, 7 BS and 7 PS. I applied all over the map, to around 13 different Osteopathic schools. I ended up deciding on UNECOM, but I also interviewed at Nova, Western, AZCOM and Tufts (still waiting on Tufts). Good luck!

11 VR, 7 BS and 7 PS. I applied all over the map, to around 13 different Osteopathic schools. I ended up deciding on UNECOM, but I also interviewed at Nova, Western, AZCOM and Tufts (still waiting on Tufts). Good luck!

I would rather have your 25 than my 26. I have 6 VR and 10 PS and 10 BS. Anyone here get in with a 6 in a subsection??

I would rather have your 25 than my 26. I have 6 VR and 10 PS and 10 BS. Anyone here get in with a 6 in a subsection??

6VR as well here. I curse the un-holy day the concept of this section of the test was ever dreamed up.

To OP, I got in w/ 23Q. I was all set to re-take it when I got accepted. My advice is to sign up to re-take it and do it if you don't hear anything positive.

The VR section is a viscious beast that is tough to tame. More of an art than a science. Personally I took the advice from EK and didn't look back in the passage. I think this killed me. Find your own way, however. GL.

I don't think a 6 in VR will hurt you apps for DO schools that much as long as the other sections are solid. MD school however won't accept a 6.

I don't think a 6 in VR will hurt you apps for DO schools that much as long as the other sections are solid. MD school however won't accept a 6.

Very true. Exhibit A = FlaMedic

Hi all. Glad to be part of this group. I also just got my MCAT scores back. my GPA is 3.55. Science GPA 3.45.

What are my chances for getting into an D.O. program?

Any insight would be great!

Thanks all.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. Glad to be part of this group. I also just got my MCAT scores back. I got a 24M (Really surprised with the M). And my GPA is 3.55. Science GPA 3.45.

What are my chances for getting into an D.O. program?

Any insight would be great!

Thanks all.:D

what are the individual numbers? Do have good clinical experiences? research? blah, blah, balh...

I have just started doing some research with an old prof.

I also have volunteer time in hospitals, and other volunteer hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Individual scores are

9 BS 8 VR 7 PS.

I have just started doing some research with an old prof.

I think you would have a decent shot. even if you have to retake the PS section is the easiet to bring up. Just learn the formulas. But, I would apply with those stats and see what happens.

When we retake the MCAT, do they take the total score from one test or will they take the high scores from different tests?

Depends on the school. I'd say a safe bet for most would be the most recent set of scores.