Any adcoms or counselor that can give me advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rejectedhardcor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not adcom or counselor, but you're setting yourself up for failure if you apply MD only. I would apply to some DO schools to fall back on, because you're obviously competitive, but I would say MD is a longshot. If you're really set on MD, buckle down and study and make a 30 and apply next year.

I'm not adcom or counselor, but you're setting yourself up for failure if you apply MD only. I would apply to some DO schools to fall back on, because you're obviously competitive, but I would say MD is a longshot. If you're really set on MD, buckle down and study and make a 30 and apply next year.

I'm going to have to agree unless you're a URM, you don't really have much of a shot at MD at all with a 25...

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: Not an Adcom or counselor.

That 25 is too low for MD only. Your chances are below the national average, which isn't a good sign (about 36% or so http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625)

Opinions vary on the stigma of being a reapplicant. My understanding is that it is fine to be a reapplicant as long as your application improves quite a bit between admission cycles. A lot of secondaries will ask if you are a reapplicant and will have an essay prompt asking you to describe the changes between cycles. On the second attempt, you will be required to answer if you previously applied to the particular school before when you add each school on the primary.

Not to mention that the application year can be money draining, time consuming, and ridden with anxiety.

If you understand the risks, then go ahead and apply. The only big drawback I see is the MCAT.

Some overall comments on your EC's:

How many shadowing hours do you have and in what specialties?

Any leadership?

Why do you have 2 physician letters? The adcom's on these boards say that such letters are useless unless you have an unusually strong connection to the doctor through years of interaction or did research with him/her.

You might actually need an additional letter. You usually need 2 science and 1 non-science. Your letters may or may not fill the requirements, since SDN'ers have contacted schools about including math letters as science and some schools say it counts but other say it doesn't. The cognitive psychology will probably be non-science, so it looks like you've got 2 non-science and 1 science under some schools' definition

Your EC's are really good and will help you stand out in the applicant pool.

Yeah, I'm neither of those things either.

But there are several problems with your application. Your MCAT is really low for MD, so I think that will really hurt if you apply with it. The 7 also may screen you out of alot of schools. Like sector said, your LOR really do not look complete. You prob need at least one more science LOR to meet most school's requirements and if you don't get it quickly, it will really make you late in the cycle. The ECs overall are very good though, but not enough to overlook some of your stats. I think DO is your best shot at this cycle, and would recommend apply to at least some DO schools if you want to apply soon.

are you going to apply next cycle?

If you are, then I think you would have to step up your game with a better MCAT score and I think you will be fine as long as you do premed activities and maybe take more courses to get better LORs.

I will apply next cycle if I have to. I am posting here to see if applying this cycle will hurt me if I don't get in. I am retaking MCAT in April and will probably replace the physician letter with a upper biology letter for next cycle.

Will being a reapplicant hurt me?

No.

Reapplication only hurts if you apply to schools that looks at your old app and realizes you have made 0 improvement.