Any adcoms or medical students on adcoms willing to read PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dihedralsymmetry

Reaction score
Applying for the '23-'24 cycle and I've worked up a personal statement and revised it a bunch of times. I've sent it to a couple of friends and couple of current medical students/matriculants, but I'm getting some conflicting advice. I'm sure this is just due to the nature of the personal statement and because the way adcoms review applications is rather nebulous, but I'd love to get some advice from people who actually review applications. I can DM it if you're willing, thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Not an adcom, but I think conflicting advice is expected. What one adcom loves, another might hate. Whether in terms of writing style or in presenting yourself authentically, you'll make a lot of decisions that essentially boil down to calculated risks - a PS agreeable to everyone will also likely be unmemorable. I do think that if two people say you should change a specific thing, you should change it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having read quite a few personal statements, I find two issues to be prevalent.
  1. Students do not have a firm grasp on what they are trying to accomplish when they start writing. The purpose of your PS is to show that you have: (i) a strong desire to pursue medicine (i.e., why medicine?); (ii) the experiences necessary to understand what it means to be a medical student and a doctor (i.e., you know what you are getting into); and (iii) the traits and experiences necessary to be an asset to medical schools, and a skilled and humane doctor (e.g., demonstrate a commitment to service, cultural competency, etc.). Every sentence in the PS should further one of those goals. If not, the sentence is a waste of your finite opportunity to sell yourself to highly competitive schools.
  2. Students treat the PS as if it is a creative writing assignment. Employing 50-cent words and flowery prose to “set the scene” is not the way to go. It wastes valuable space without doing anything to show medical schools why they should pick you out of a talented crowd. And it is cringeworthy to choke down yet another essay filled with overwrought prose. Say what you want to say using everyday words and simple declarative sentences.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Having read quite a few personal statements, I find two issues to be prevalent.
  1. ...
  2. Students treat the PS as if it is a creative writing assignment. Employing 50-cent words and flowery prose to “set the scene” is not the way to go. It wastes valuable space without doing anything to show medical schools why they should pick you out of a talented crowd. And it is cringeworthy to choke down yet another essay filled with overwrought prose. Say what you want to say using everyday words and simple declarative sentences.

This is interesting and I've been hearing a lot of people shy away from the term "creative writing." I think most applicants just have no actual training or education in the craft so it'd be interesting to see something written by an actual (skilled) author evaluated.

Good writers (creative or otherwise) don't need a thesaurus and typically get things done in half as many words as everyone else.

Reactions: 1 user