Any Adv/Disadvantage of getting you Medical License in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

regulator2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard if you get your med License during your residency you can be held liable for malpractice...?? is it worth getting it?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, you can be held liable under a malpractice suit regardless of having an unrestricted license or not.

But I think the point is moot because most residency programs require you to obtain full licensure as soon as you can... after 1 year for AMGs and 3 years for IMGs.

I heard if you get your med License during your residency you can be held liable for malpractice...?? is it worth getting it?

You can be judged liable for malpractice with only a training/limited license as well.

The major disadvantage to getting your license while still a resident is that it costs a crap-ton of cash to get it ($600+ for Step 3, $35 - $800 for the state license application depending on the state, $100 - $400 a year for the license itself, also state dependent) and a fair amount of time and energy at a time when you have little of either to spare.

The upside? You "get" to moonlight and make that money (and more) back.

I spent ~$1100 between Step 3 and the various fees to get my unlimited license this year. I'll be making between $750 - 1000 per 12h moonlighting shift starting in June.

As far as malpractice goes, you can (and likely will) be named in any suit brought by a patient/family you had any contact with, regardless of your license status.

Members don't see this ad :)
And what are the procedure/requirements to obtain your medical license, besides passing your step 3? ....in NY specifically?

thank you

since we're on the topic, if you have your license, do all the hospitals allow moonlighting?

for clarification, not all states have a training/limited license. california, for example, has one type of medical license, whether you're a resident physician or not.

for clarification, not all states have a training/limited license. california, for example, has one type of medical license, whether you're a resident physician or not.

CA is close to alone in that category but your point is taken. The important thing however is that you don't need a license to be a resident in CA, but if you want to to moonlight, as a resident, you'll need to get that license.

And what are the procedure/requirements to obtain your medical license, besides passing your step 3? ....in NY specifically?

thank you

This page is your friend: http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

In general, you need Step 3, 1-3 years of PG training (generally 3 if you're an FMG and 1-2 for AMGs), the ability to write a number of fairly large checks and nearly infinite patience.

To answer your ? about NY, 1yr for AMG, 3yr for FMGs, $735 application fee (this is on top of the actual license fee), $50 USMLE transcript fee and probably a bunch of other non-obvious-at-first-glance fees. Plus you have the joy of dealing w/ public "servants" in NY.

To answer your inevitable follow-up ?, no you can't get a license in CT or NJ and moonlight in NY

CA is close to alone in that category but your point is taken. The important thing however is that you don't need a license to be a resident in CA, but if you want to to moonlight, as a resident, you'll need to get that license.

assuming you're a us grad, once you get to your 25th month of post graduate training you must have your license, or you cannot continue residency in the state. i.e. you've got to have it before your 3rd year of residency.

if you're an fmg, then you need to have your license by your 35th month of post graduate training.

just don't want cali bound interns/residents to be confused. :D

I don't know if this is an issue in other states, but in Wisconsin, it is actually the opposite. The limits on malpractice awards only apply to full licenses. There was a case a few years ago at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin where the only physician on the lawsuit at the end of the case was the resident b/c the caps didn't apply to her. Here is the case:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=650450

ahh, I was wondering why none of the forms I filled out looked like they were an application for a temporary/training/etc license...