any adv standing applied or going to UIC CHICAGO.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vishal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i like to know if any adnvaced standing people going to uic cos i went there for intrw and i know they give a certificate but i spoke to some students there and came to know that its equal to DDS and they address themselves as DDS.i like to know other peoples view regarding this.thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi vishal,
The certificate you get from UIC is not equal to DDS degree. It is just a certificate, with which you can practice only in Illinois. I repeat it is not a degree. Going to another 2 year advanced standing program at another school will lead you to a DDS degree. Hence, it doesnt make sense to study for 2 years at UIC when you can go to another school, study for the same 2 years and get a DDS degree and eligible to practice anywhere in the US. I think it is a waste of time, money and effort to go down the UIC road. Just my 2 cents. :)

I agree with futuredentist, certificate programs will only give you the license to practice in that particular state, I think its a bit risky.Only if you are 100% sure that you'll want to practice only in that particular state should you take it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys,
thanks for the response.i actually came to know from students there that they do address themselves as DDS.the second thing is that there is a new rule that after practicing in a state for 5 yrs you can practice anywhere else without appearing for licensure exam.so why not take this programme which you can do for $100,000 and it includes everything,and for 5 yrs you can practice in a good city like chicago???

Hi,
I think you have been mislead. I dont care,what the students at UIC address themselves as, they will not be considered as DDS degree holders. When the program says that they offer only the certificate program then that is just what it is. The students can address themselves (delude themselves) anything they want, it does not make them a DDS degree holder. Dont fall in the trap. About the new law, it will hold true only for students who hold a DDS degree not for people who have only a certificate. The point is to equalize any differences that may exist between foreign dental graduate and a regular DDS holder so that the foreign dental graduate will have the eligibility to appear for licensure exams and prcatice in the US. If you see the licensure requirements in the ADA webpage, it clearly states that, to eligible to appear for licensure one has to have a DDS degree to be eligible for licensure. Hence, a certificate will not be recognized as a DDS degree in any other state. I hope I have cleared your doubts.