Any Advice for a Floridian moving up to University of Minnesota?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Leen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I recently got accepted to the University of Minnesota's vet school c/o 2018 and I am so excited! However, everyone keeps telling me to be prepared for much to come, including the winters. I've lived in Florida my entire life, so I really have no experience with snow or cold weather! :whoa:

Does anyone have any pointers on living in Minnesota? Or if you are/have been a student at the U of M, any advice or comments about the vet school or university in general? I'd really appreciate it :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Down coat, winter boots, warm hats, scarves, and mittens/gloves, long underwear, snow tires, all wheel drive or four wheel drive also helpful, folding shovel to keep in said car/truck, also ice scraper - try to rent a place with a garage if possible if you are bringing a vehicle - I didn't go to Minnesota, but I did go to vet school in an adjoining state and have lived in snow country my entire life. Minnesota has serious winters...

If you can, it would be best to wait until you actually get to Minnesota to purchase your winter gear. I've seen the "winter" selection in Florida stores and it's crap. :p

Also, I've known some warmer-climate natives who adapted just fine to Northern winters so if you want to save some money invest in just the essentials (good coat, boots, gloves, hat) at first and then buy the rest as you need it. Quality is better than quantity, so spending a little extra on some good (and waterproof!) items that will last you years goes a long way.

I don't go to UMN, but I find that classes and studying keep me indoors except for the walk from the parking lot to the school, so it isn't all that bad. Depending on what kind of car you drive, it might be worthwhile to ask an experienced classmate to take you out to a parking lot after a snowstorm and give you some winter driving tips. You'll be much more confident on real winter roads if you have a chance to practice first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really just want to say...stay in Florida. I moved to a much colder and snowy locale for vet school and I am not happy about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Down coat, winter boots, warm hats, scarves, and mittens/gloves, long underwear, snow tires, all wheel drive or four wheel drive also helpful, folding shovel to keep in said car/truck, also ice scraper - try to rent a place with a garage if possible if you are bringing a vehicle - I didn't go to Minnesota, but I did go to vet school in an adjoining state and have lived in snow country my entire life. Minnesota has serious winters...

To the OP: I bolded the single most important thing. Your life is so, so much nicer here in the winter if you can at least park your car in a garage overnight so it's not frozen and piled with snow in the morning.

I mean, yeah, you need to dress warm. But .... :)

Dress in layers. Idiots like me, who have lived here all our lives and are used to it, might do something like wear jeans 'n a t-shirt under a parka, but you shouldn't. Wear a t-shirt, a long-sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt/sweater, and then a parka. Or whatever the correct female equivalent is. Wear a hat. Sacrifice fashion for warm boots or shoes that don't let your feet get wet.

And BlackDog is right - wait til you're here to buy winter clothes. You'll have plenty of time since you'll get here in August.

The bottom line is to expect extremes. Our summers can be brutally hot and humid. Our winters are well known.

Dunno if they still do it, but when I started here we actually had some prof give a talk about adapting to MN winters. It was wildly amusing for a native like me, but maybe useful for the southerners. Dunno.

Regardless, you'll be fine. It will take some adjustment, but ... whatever. It's just weather. :)

Layers!!! Just how much you will have to bundle up will depend on how much you have to walk outside... aka, whether you have an indoor parking space at your place and whether you are walking/busing/driving to school and where you choose to park. I parked in the farther away state fair lot this past year (the "cheaper" option), and it kinda was kind of soul sucking for two months straight. And I'm only sort of kidding. The wind was brutal. However, my only Minnesota winter experience is this past year, which was a pretty rough winter, so take that into consideration.

A few notes on vital clothing items, particularly if you're going to have a walk longer than 1-2 minutes:
A nice, quality, insulated, waterproof winter coat. Preferably a longish one so that your butt doesn't freeze off.
Warm, waterproof, winter boots.
Wool socks are essential. Smartwool is my favorite--expensive, but worth it.
A hat that covers your ears (or earmuffs), a scarf, and mittens. Must be mittens, even if you hate them. Your fingers will go completely numb in gloves.
Good layering clothes.

It's generally pretty cold in our classrooms, so being overdressed is not really an issue. The bigger issue is the need to always have two jackets... one heavy one to wear outside, and one lighter one to wear inside. And having a heated blanket for class isn't entirely out of the question.

*hopes he stays in the south for residency and beyond*

Good luck! I've got a good number of friends in the upper midwest, and seeing them post things about first snows in September and blizzards in April are NOT things I'm jealous about! :p

The best time to buy your winter apparel is in later September or early October. Try purchasing your winter gear at TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, or some other store. I bought a really nice Columbia jacket several months ago for about 67% less than the suggested retail price. I second what everyone says about how to stay warm in the winter.
A few more items to note:
1) I cannot suggest Columbia enough. It has good quality boots, jackets, mittens, etc. Super warm in the winter!
2) Chapstick and lotion (especially those for winter weather with extra moisture retention).
3) Make sure you have a "winter safety kit" and an extra set of clothing available in your car. You never know when you could be stranded.
4) When you are walking to class, stay in the snow as much as possible. I have lived in the Midwest for several years, and I have fallen too many times on sidewalks covered in black ice.
5) Buy a snow brush with an ice scraper attachment for your car. You can find these at Walmart, Hornbachers, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, or some other store.
6) Get a weather radio. This is important in predicting your wardrobe and keeping you safe if severe weather occurs. (Yes, The Cities do have tornadoes from time to time!)
7) Make sure your apartment/rental property has heat included in the rent. Otherwise, you may be looking at ~$120+ per month depending on the size of your rental property. You will be amazed at how much your heater will be on during the winter months!
8) Get a block heater installed in your vehicle. You will be experiencing temperatures around -20 from November-March. I would recommend plugging it in four hours before you need to use your car.
9) Find an apartment/rental property that is near a UMN bus stop. It does not hurt travel on a bus during your first winter especially when you are not used to driving in winter weather.
10) If you decide to purchase a parking permit, allow your car to warm up for about 3-4 minutes before you drive off.
11) If you have a vehicle that runs on diesel, it is necessary to add "anti gel" into the fuel tank.
12) Shop around for fuel prices. Here is a good website: http://www.twincitiesgasprices.com/.
13) If you have pets, ask your classmates about winter clothing for them. I would recommend asking LetItSnow, dovelover, and kcoughli about specifics.
14) Check if certain grocery stores offer gas discounts if you purchase X amount of groceries.
15) Take advantage of the winter recreational activities such as cross-country skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, etc.
16) There are several "free" things to do in The Cities. I think that the U has a Google map that is pinned with neat things to do during the year.
For something fun, go to Mickey's Diner in St. Paul. It is very iconic and the food is great!
If all else fails, ask upperclassmen, your fellow SDN members, or the Minnesota natives in your class if you have any additional questions.

Reactions: 1 users
In addition to Light's post, I have a ton of friends in Indiana that swear by Carharts as their coat brand layered with underarmor or another hoodie.

Just want to second that TJ Maxx is awesome for good brand name winter gear! It's usually hit or miss, but when you hit it right it's a goldmine. The one near me frequently has Nike Pro fleece-lined leggings on sale super cheap. :D

When it comes to winter gear - you get what you pay for, so don't try to 'get by' with the cheapest option. Spend the money up front and buy yourself some quality winter boots (not UGGs, get some Sorels or something along those lines) and a waterproof, warm coat. You will never regret it, because they'll last you forever. I have a pair of boots that have been through probably 8 winters and show no signs of giving up.

The best time to buy your winter apparel is in later September or early October. Try purchasing your winter gear at TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, or some other store. I bought a really nice Columbia jacket several months ago for about 67% less than the suggested retail price. I second what everyone says about how to stay warm in the winter.
1) I cannot suggest Columbia enough. It has good quality boots, jackets, mittens, etc. Super warm in the winter!
2) Chapstick and lotion (especially those for winter weather with extra moisture retention).
3) Make sure you have a "winter safety kit" and an extra set of clothing available in your car. You never know when you could be stranded.
4) When you are walking to class, stay in the snow as much as possible. I have lived in the Midwest for several years, and I have fallen too many times on sidewalks covered in black ice.
5) Buy a snow brush with an ice scraper attachment for your car. You can find these at Walmart, Hornbachers, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, or some other store.
6) Get a weather radio. This is important in predicting your wardrobe and keeping you safe if severe weather occurs. (Yes, The Cities do have tornadoes from time to time!)
7) Make sure your apartment/rental property has heat included in the rent. Otherwise, you may be looking at ~$120+ per month depending on the size of your rental property. You will be amazed at how much your heater will be on during the winter months!
8) Get a block heater installed in your vehicle. You will be experiencing temperatures around -20 from November-March. I would recommend plugging it in four hours before you need to use your car.
9) Find an apartment/rental property that is near a UMN bus stop. It does not hurt travel on a bus during your first winter especially when you are not used to driving in winter weather.
10) If you decide to purchase a parking permit, allow your car to warm up for about 3-4 minutes before you drive off.
11) If you have a vehicle that runs on diesel, it is necessary to add "anti gel" into the fuel tank.
12) Shop around for fuel prices. Here is a good website: http://www.twincitiesgasprices.com/.
13) If you have pets, ask your classmates about winter clothing for them. I would recommend asking LetItSnow, dovelover, and kcoughli about specifics.
14) Check if certain grocery stores offer gas discounts if you purchase X amount of groceries.
15) Take advantage of the winter recreational activities such as cross-country skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, etc.
16) There are several "free" things to do in The Cities. I think that the U has a Google map that is pinned with neat things to do during the year.
For something fun, go to Mickey's Diner in St. Paul. It is very iconic and the food is great!
If all else fails, ask upperclassmen, your fellow SDN members, or the Minnesota natives in your class if you have any additional questions.
I'm going to say for the sake of not freaking the OP out too much, that some of this may be overkill. It's not going to be -20 on a frequent basis (air temperature wise, which is all that matters as far as car engines are concerned). You probably don't need a block heater living in the cities, unless you have a car with battery sucking issues, especially as you'd have to be living somewhere where you can plug said block heater in. You'd be better off spending your money getting your battery tested and a new one installed if needed, and maybe investing in a AAA membership (or another roadside assistance type deal). Or just paying for indoor parking. Even in this horrible winter, I only knew a few people whose cars didn't start on an occasion. It's good to know the bus schedules though, just in case. And a remote starter's not a bad idea if you'll be parking outside. Half of the cars in my parking lot at my apartment had them, and I was always horridly jealous when I was freezing my butt off waiting for my frozen car to warm up enough to drive.

Weather radio is also probably not necessary either, at least no more so than it would be in Florida... we have very hard to miss tornado sirens, and for everything else, there's the internet. Or cell phones. Winter may suck, but at least it's predictably sucky.

Living somewhere with heat included in rent is great though. It's really great after being cold all day long to come home to a warm apartment. My apartment was always at least 72 degrees... by February I had gotten so sick of being cold that it was up to 74.

And if you do drive, definitely I second making sure your car has some supplies. Good snow brush, extra blanket/clothes, flashlight. You should always keep at least 1/4 tank of gas in your car, preferably closer to 1/2. If you park somewhere prone to getting plowed in, having a small snow shovel in your trunk isn't a bad idea. And generally it's recommended to have a container of sand or cat litter in your car to be able to put down for traction if you get stuck in the snow, especially if you don't have all wheel drive or snow tires. Most of these things probably won't be a huge issue just driving to and from school, but its good to be prepared.

Gosh... this thread is making me really depressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ooh speaking of AAA, check prices for a membership in both the area you're living in now, and the area you're moving to. I almost puked when I was told it was like $300 or something (don't actually remember) when I tried to join in CO. So I called The Southern New England branch since my car was registered in MA and went with the $50 membership. Same services. Had no idea it was so much more expensive at different locations (unless someone was trying to pull a fast one on me?).

If you're living with roommates, make absolutely certain that you both like similar indoor temperature settings for your apt. This is particularly true if you get an apt without heat/hot water included, but can be a huge point of contention even if that's not the case. Actually the latter may even be worse because it financially allows you to blast as much heat as you want. It's going to be sad times if your roomie likes to bundle up and set the thermostat at 65, while you are shivering away with anything under 75.

As for jackets, I got the absolute best deal on a super hefty coat that could suit the abominable snowman for $200 off in CA! As much as i usually detest Abercrombie and have never bought anything from them since I was like 12 years old otherwise, I went with this coat because it was such a good deal. It being a national chain, the store carried a couple of these super super coats even in CA... where for obvious reasons no one bought it. So come spring, the prices were slashed to amazing levels. The coat is so hefty though, I only have needed it for like 1 week out of each year in the coldest of New England and CO winter days. Otherwise it's too warm and bulky. So I usually just go with my heavy Columbia jacket. But then I'm one of those idiots who only wears one layer no matter what the weather, so i may not be the one to get cold weather fashion advice. If it's too cold, I just don't leave my apt. I just use it as an excuse not to go to class.

Also, if you're paying for your own heat finding a place with programmable thermostats is awesome. Set them to drop down to some minimum temperature (probably around 50 degrees in most rental properties) while you're gone for the day, then have them warm back up to a more tolerable level about 30 mins before you usually get home. That way you're still coming home to warmth, but you'll save a ton of money by not pumping extra heat into empty house all day.

It's best to live in a newer building or at least one with newer windows. Even if you're not paying for your own heat cold drafts are a pain to deal with. If you do end up with drafts, look at the hardware store for plastic sheeting to put over your windows and any other drafty areas. It makes a huge difference.

And yeah, I'll echo what everyone else has said about getting AAA, especially if you have an older/crappier car. I'd recommend it for anyone regardless of the climate they're living in. They've saved my butt multiple times and my membership has more than paid for itself this year.

Just to throw my 2 cents in the mix about AAA - I was looking into it and then did some digging and apparently my car insurance covers almost everything I wanted from AAA (roadside assistance, changing flats, towing, etc). So look into what your car insurance actually provides, saved me some moolah.

Block heaters aren't really called for in normal gasoline cars. Plugging one in for four hours is going to use up a lot of energy and the expense isn't really worth it in my opinion. (And are you really going to set your alarm for three in the morning to plug in your block heater before school?)

The most important thing is to have plenty of warm clothes (including socks!) to choose from and sturdy winter boots. I would absolutely invest in a pair or two of long underwear to put under your clothes on the coldest days, and a jacket with a hood as they'll keep your head the warmest and you lose the most heat from your head. I like my longer coat (down to my knees) more than just a waist-length jacket. All of the great accessories (hats, ear muffins, mittens, scarves, etc) are called for as well :) I LOVE my hot water bottle at the foot of my bed at night (under my down comforter...all I was missing was flannel sheets!)

During the worst parts of winter, I make sure my car has at least half a tank of gas and that someone knows when/where I'm going (especially since I lived out in the country) in case you go off the road. Driving in the snow is scary if you haven't done it before - might want to read up on tips/youtube videos but my general rule is nothing sudden - brake gently and waaaay ahead of where you want to stop, keep extra distance between yourself and the crazies around you, etc. If a big storm is pending, the weather sources usually have tips like stocking up on canned goods, etc. so you can prepare yourself.

I went to the U for my undergrad-Animal Science and was primarily on St. Paul campus the whole time. If you need to be at campus at a crazy early or crazy late hour I would recommend to make sure the roads have been plowed. I had a smaller car and thought the roads were plowed and exited my apartment parking lot (mind you only a 5 minute drive to campus) and my little car just completely got stuck. No less than 20 minutes of trying to get it out and back into the parking lot the plows came around and re-buried me. The same thing happened to me when I was leaving the parking ramp on gortner and I didn't realize the roads weren't plowed so I got stuck on the hill. So please wait until roads are plowed before beginning your travel.

I went to the U for my undergrad-Animal Science and was primarily on St. Paul campus the whole time. If you need to be at campus at a crazy early or crazy late hour I would recommend to make sure the roads have been plowed. I had a smaller car and thought the roads were plowed and exited my apartment parking lot (mind you only a 5 minute drive to campus) and my little car just completely got stuck. No less than 20 minutes of trying to get it out and back into the parking lot the plows came around and re-buried me. The same thing happened to me when I was leaving the parking ramp on gortner and I didn't realize the roads weren't plowed so I got stuck on the hill. So please wait until roads are plowed before beginning your travel.
Unless they just don't plow the roads like they did this past winter. Winter driving around here shouldn't be that difficult. It's mostly flat, and the roads are all straight. And yet, driving this past winter was a nightmare compared to back home, where we have steep hills and sharp curves everywhere, and a lot of roads are built into hillsides, so if you spin out on a curve you wind up in a ditch. I just don't get it. We get just as much snow back home, but the roads are always clear almost right away. But here, they like to wait until it stops snowing, but then they can't get it all up in time before the temperature inevitably drops like it always does after a snowstorm, and then everything freezes solid. There were roads I drove on everyday that were covered in solid sheets of ice for 2 weeks straight and I'd have to coast into the stop sign at 2 miles an hour in order to actually be able to apply my breaks without sliding into the intersection. There is no reason why it should be that way in a city like this. But snow tires do help, if you have a place where you can store an extra set of tires. If not, it's a good idea to at least make sure your tire treads aren't worn out before winter starts.

On the plus side, they're pretty understanding if you miss something or come in late due to weather related travel difficulties. They never really cancel school for snow, but they will for cold temps... assuming the whole university's in session, as they like to forget about our weird vet school schedule. First day of this semester they didn't cancel our classes when they were predicting an almost -50 windchill because "classes were not in session," ie, the rest of the University was not in session. A couple weeks later once everyone was back in session, they cancelled class for a day and a half for a -30 windchill. Go figure.

Pffft. I've lived here 40 years. I had a block heater on my first car and never used it. I've never bothered with one since. Modern cars don't need one. MAYBE if you're planning to park outside all the time, but .... meh.

MN winter isn't *THAT* bad. It's not like it's the South Pole or something. It just feels like it from time to time.

I read the "have a weather radio" thing and thought ... geez. I don't have one. I haven't yet died. Use common sense: if it looks like bad weather out, don't go out there, or put on the right clothes if you do. It's not like it's that complicated. Don't get drunk and wander around in shorts and a t-shirt in winter, or you'll freeze. If you have to be told that .... meh. You've got a smart phone - there's 5 trillion weather apps; you don't need to buy a weather radio that you'll throw in your closet and forget about.

MN has beautiful springs, hot summers, and fantastic falls. Don't get TOO caught up in the nasty winters, or you'll lose sight of how awesome it is here the rest of the time.

Not trying to jam on all the good advice. Just sayin' ... yanno ... dress warm, be smart (as in, recognize that the weather really can be truly dangerous, so don't blow it off), and enjoy the good weather when we have it.

Don't stress out too much. Sometimes Winter can show up suddenly and it takes a little bit of time to get used to, but when it gradually gets cold it is pretty easy to adapt to. I have a lot of friends who lived in CA/FL and came to the midwest for school and they learned to survive pretty quickly. In fact, one of my good friends happened to move to Minneapolis from Sarasota right before one of the longer cold snaps this winter and she survived!

If you are bringing a car, make sure you get all weather tires, and go joyriding in a parking lot after the first snow. The hardest part about driving in the snow is learning to not freak out if you slide a little bit. If you are really uncomfortable I would recommend buying bags of sand to weigh down your rear tires (if you have a smaller car), I never have, but people who aren't used to the snow seem to enjoy it.

Going back to my first point, just don't worry about it too much. Buy winter clothes, and after a few weeks of experiencing a wide variety of temps you'll be a pro at choosing clothes in the morning! Just start looking forward to making snowmen, snowball fights, sledding, skiing, walking outside at night while it is snowing, building elaborate snow forts, watching dogs try to catch snowballs, jumping into giant snowbanks, crouching down and pretending you are looking across the planet Hoth, and throwing boiling water in the air (throw it out, not up).

...And then needing to shovel the sidewalk again because you just made a mess.

Hey, it's good advice. Not my fault if women have their priorities such that they don't take it. :)
Agreed. Just pointing out that whether it is good advice or not, if no one wants to hear the words, did a tree fall in the forest (or something like that).... I am confused. All this posting is hurting my head.

Agreed. Just pointing out that whether it is good advice or not, if no one wants to hear the words, did a tree fall in the forest (or something like that).... I am confused. All this posting is hurting my head.

This has nothing to do with this, but I found it amusing that I just refreshed the thread list and you were the most recent poster on every single thread on my screen.

:)