Any Advice for a Future DO?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by goodb29, Feb 21, 2001.

1. goodb29

goodb29 Member
    10+ Year Member

I just wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice on becoming a D.O. I graduated in '99 with a degree in Chemistry and a 2.9 GPA. Is there anything that I can do to improve my chances on being accepted at a Osteopathic Medical School. I really prefer the hands-on, preventative medicine, and caring for the "whole person" philosophy that the Osteopathic degree offers. However, I feel that because my GPA is not that high that I may have already ruined my chances. Is there anything that I can do to improve my chances and distinguish myself from the other candidates? (I could probably use a little consolation too, lol) but any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my posting.

2. cjw0918

cjw0918 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would suggest a post-bacc program, or just taking advanced sciece classes to boost your GPA. Maybe retake some pre-reqs if you got C's in them. Biochem, histology, physiology, anatomy, genetics, embryology, and other advanced bio classes are good. Definitely shadow a couple of DO's and get letters from them. Get your GPA up to 3.3, have lots of DO experience, and aim for 28-30 on the MCAT. You'll do great. Best of luck....

3. goodb29

goodb29 Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks so much for your help. I'm still kinda new at this and I will definitely take your advice. Do you think that I should get some clinical experience like through being a paramedic or EMT?

4. William

William Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Regarding EMT experience:

While this is good clinical experience and interesting to you while you do it and it looks good on resume, your better exposure to DO's who could write you letters would be to try and get a job as a "tech" in a hospital.

5. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In my class, people came from various backgrounds. Each person seemed to excel at different things. My advise would be to take the opportunity that may lie in front of you and use it to your advantage, what ever that may be. People learn from everything they do, and there is no one field that creates the "best" med student.
    good luck

6. goodb29

goodb29 Member
    10+ Year Member

Right now I work for a Science/Medical publishing company, and I enjoy it, but I still think about osteopathic medicine. It will probably be a few years away until I get the courage to apply and take the MCAT's but I think the life experience that I acquire in that time will (hopefully) be invaluable. Thanks for taking the time out to respond to my posting.