Any advice for a potential reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budgie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a successful reapplicant myself, I can tell you a few things. First, I wouldn't count yourself out yet. Plenty of folks get in off of waitlists, so my advice is to stay in touch with your waitlisted schools and let them know how excited you are about their programs. Second, I don't see a lot wrong with your app except for maybe limited shadowing. If and only if you reinterview again next time, my advice is to steer clear of talking about academics. My first time applying, I felt great after all of my interviews too, but the feedback I got was that I talked too much about school. In retrospect, I was nervous and I was trying to show how "smart" I was, and I therefore talked all about my research in bcr-abl protein, and publications in RadOnc journals. I think tons of people take this approach of trying to show their intelligence, and it is just boring for the interviewers. This year, I did not talk about research, curricula, or publications a single time throughout any of my multiple interviews. Instead I talked about surfing, back packing in South America, my family, and sports. I got into almost every school I applied to this time around.