Any Advice for a Traditional Entering PreMed out of High School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFamilyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well after one year its finally that time....
Exactly a year ago I decided that I wanted to become a Family Practice Physician. I joined SDN and got anxiety after reading how gruesome the process of being a premed, mcats, ECs etc. was, all that just to have about a 50% chance of getting into medical school. So I started using ValueMD at the same time, looking at Ross Medical school as a back up, podiatric medicine & osteopathic medicine etc. (I know for a High School Student this was looking WAY to far ahead) but this is just how serious I am about medicine. I started looking at statistics of medical school trends on AAMC etc.
Then I realized that "I" am going to be the one to create a path to medical school and I squeezed out all the negative thoughts that didn't have to do with a Medical School right here in GA, At this point I have been accepted to quit a few colleges and will be going of to college as a premed in GA and planning on going to a GA medical school.

After all that blah^ I wanted to ask what advice to you have for me as a entering freshman to college in Fall 2011 as a PreMed to keep on top of my grade, research publications, shadowing, ECs, being competitive? All advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well after one year its finally that time....
Exactly a year ago I decided that I wanted to become a Family Practice Physician. I joined SDN and got anxiety after reading how gruesome the process of being a premed, mcats, ECs etc. was, all that just to have about a 50% chance of getting into medical school. So I started using ValueMD at the same time, looking at Ross Medical school as a back up, podiatric medicine & osteopathic medicine etc. (I know for a High School Student this was looking WAY to far ahead) but this is just how serious I am about medicine. I started looking at statistics of medical school trends on AAMC etc.
Then I realized that "I" am going to be the one to create a path to medical school and I squeezed out all the negative thoughts that didn't have to do with a Medical School right here in GA, At this point I have been accepted to quit a few colleges with my 3.6 HS GPA and 1410 SAT and will be going of to college as a premed in GA and planning on going to a GA medical school.

After all that blah^ I wanted to ask what advice to you have for me as a entering freshman to college in Fall 2011 as a PreMed to keep on top of my grade, research publications, shadowing, ECs, being competitive? All advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

1. Don't just focus on getting into med school in college.
  2. Don't even consider the Caribbean. SDN > ValueMD
  3. Shadow a couple FM (Family Medicine) docs.
  4. Have an open mind about different specialties in general, you never know what you'll like.
  5. Grades are more important than anything else in this process, at least until you get to the MCAT. EC's are worthless if your GPA is crap.
  6. Be social. Don't be that shut-away premed who only studies all the time. If you have to, you're doing something wrong.
  7. Get to know professors, they don't see it as a hassle when students come to office hours, they see it as enthusiastic and like having something to do while they have to be there. Not nearly as many students go as you would think.
  8. DO = MD
  9. Don't join a bunch of clubs just because you think it'll look good. Get involved with things that interest you.
  10. If you want to experience research, try it. Work for a professor as a research assistant/do a summer research program.
  11. Check anything your advisor says with SDN, and the other more reputable sources on the internet.
  12. Search (this includes SDN and the internet in general,) and people will like you more when you don't post redundant threads.
  13. Other premeds may be insane. Don't focus on what other people do.
  14. Be happy :)

Advice: chill out, stay on top of your school work, have fun

Getting into med school isn't easy, but it also isn't as hard as a lot of people on these forums make it out to be. If you work hard and jump through all the required hoops, you should be good.

I think it's insane that you're already looking at Caribbean med schools as a backup plan when you haven't even started college. Again, chill out.

1.) Don't refer to Osteopathic medicine or group it with the Caribbean or Podiatry as a back-up plan as it is still really competitive. In 4 years you will see why....

Oops...I just caught that. I hope no one gets offended by the Osteopathic- Podiatric thing. I just got a general consensus that while Osteopathic medical school is in fact competitive and not a cakewalk (we have a lot of them in GA in fact my doctor is one and we have Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine GA campus here) you can generally get in with less competitive stats than your typical Allopathic Medical School (Just wanted to add that I learned all this from SDN. A year ago I didn't know what an Osteopathic, Allopathic, or Podiatrist was, now I can honestly say I'm quite educated on each of thanks to SDN)

During your first semster take only the minimum number of credits you need to maintain yourself as a full time student, and take the absolute easiest classes you can while you're doing it. If you want to study astrophysicis there will be time later, during your first semester use your time to explore. Make sure you:

1) Rush (pledge if you like it, rush no matter what)
2) Try out a few different kinds of activities. Not premed clubs or research, random things. Get into politics and protest something, learn to fence, learn bagpipes, watever
3) Try out a few different kinds of parties too.
4) And if you're in a city don't neglet to explore that.
5) And finally look seriously at different majors. Don't stick on bio just because you're a premed.

Other advice:

1) Unless your parents are paying your tuition, consider you finances seriously when choosing a college. 200K in debt seriously limits your options to change careers, or even to pursue family medicine down the road.

2) Find something better to do with your Summer than going home and working at the IHOP with your HS friends. Get an internship that you can put on your resume, or travel abroad, or something.

3) Seriously consider the idea that you might NOT be a premed in a year, and there's nothing wrong with that. You're allowed to change your mind.

4) You're from GA. Are you going to Tech? I have much more specific advice if you are.

1. Don't just focus on getting into med school in college.
  2. Don't even consider the Caribbean. SDN > ValueMD
  3. Shadow a couple FM (Family Medicine) docs.
  4. Have an open mind about different specialties in general, you never know what you'll like.
  5. Grades are more important than anything else in this process, at least until you get to the MCAT. EC's are worthless if your GPA is crap.
  6. Be social. Don't be that shut-away premed who only studies all the time. If you have to, you're doing something wrong.
  7. Get to know professors, they don't see it as a hassle when students come to office hours, they see it as enthusiastic and like having something to do while they have to be there. Not nearly as many students go as you would think.
  8. DO = MD
  9. Don't join a bunch of clubs just because you think it'll look good. Get involved with things that interest you.
  10. If you want to experience research, try it. Work for a professor as a research assistant/do a summer research program.
  11. Check anything your advisor says with SDN, and the other more reputable sources on the internet.
  12. Search (this includes SDN and the internet in general,) and people will like you more when you don't post redundant threads.
  13. Other premeds may be insane. Don't focus on what other people do.
  14. Be happy :)
Wow you summed it up well I greatly appreciate it!
Advice: chill out, stay on top of your school work, have fun

Getting into med school isn't easy, but it also isn't as hard as a lot of people on these forums make it out to be. If you work hard and jump through all the required hoops, you should be good.

I think it's insane that you're already looking at Caribbean med schools as a backup plan when you haven't even started college. Again, chill out.

Thanks to the both of you because this is Exactly what advice I was looking for.

Wow you summed it up well I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks to the both of you because this is Exactly what advice I was looking for.
I agree with what Perrotfish has said as well, except that I didn't rush. I knew I wasn't going to pledge simply for financial reasons, and rushing itself was a couple hundred dollars I didn't want to spend. But yeah, don't be afraid to get involved in Greek stuff if you think you might like it.

I'll probably think of more stuff later, but one more thing: Just by finding SDN you're way ahead of the majority of people that claim to be "pre-med." Don't worry the next few years of your life away on here, but know that the initiative you've shown in trying to prepare yourself and plan ahead will serve you well.

During your first semster take only the minimum number of credits you need to maintain yourself as a full time student, and take the absolute easiest classes you can while you're doing it. If you want to study astrophysicis there will be time later, during your first semester use your time to explore. Make sure you:

1) Rush (pledge if you like it, rush no matter what)
2) Try out a few different kinds of activities. Not premed clubs or research, random things. Get into politics and protest something, learn to fence, learn bagpipes, watever
3) Try out a few different kinds of parties too.
4) And if you're in a city don't neglet to explore that.
5) And finally look seriously at different majors. Don't stick on bio just because you're a premed.

Other advice:

1) Unless your parents are paying your tuition, consider you finances seriously when choosing a college. 200K in debt seriously limits your options to change careers, or even to pursue family medicine down the road.

2) Find something better to do with your Summer than going home and working at the IHOP with your HS friends. Get an internship that you can put on your resume, or travel abroad, or something.

3) Seriously consider the idea that you might NOT be a premed in a year, and there's nothing wrong with that. You're allowed to change your mind.

4) You're from GA. Are you going to Tech? I have much more specific advice if you are.

Yes I definatley what to pledge in college.
and about the Family Medicine thing. Yeah I also learned on SDN that they don't earn as much as other specialties but that is strongly where my mind is as you can tell by my screen name because of their ability to directly serve all walks of life at the primary level and the short residency etc.

And about Tech UGH originally I applied and was planning on doing a B.S. Mechanical Engineering w/ Premed ( I know I must be on drugs) but they rejected me so Im planning on going to morehouse because their latest statistic says that out of 25 premeds that applied from thier school 23 got accepted so they must have a darn good premed program.

I agree with what Perrotfish has said as well, except that I didn't rush. I knew I wasn't going to pledge simply for financial reasons, and rushing itself was a couple hundred dollars I didn't want to spend. But yeah, don't be afraid to get involved in Greek stuff if you think you might like it.

I'll probably think of more stuff later, but one more thing: Just by finding SDN you're way ahead of the majority of people that claim to be "pre-med." Don't worry the next few years of your life away on here, but know that the initiative you've shown in trying to prepare yourself and plan ahead will serve you well.

:laugh: This is hilarious because I realized this not too long ago. SDN is great for anything prehealth but especially premed In fact I dont know where I would be right now without it because this is where I learned most of the things dealing with the medical education process. I know a guy in college that is a premed and never heard of SDN:shrug:. I tell him he doesnt know what he's missing out on.

Two reason I would be wary of Morehouse's high premed stats.

1) Most schools that have an insanely high accept rate for 'applying' premeds have a premed committee that will only write a letter for an applicant that they think is a sure thing. So the reason the stats are so high is that everyone who was a marginal candidate doesn't even get the opportunity to apply.

2) Not to state the obvious but... most of morehouse's students are black. African Americans have a very large advantage in this application process, and can be admitted with significantly lower MCATs and GPAs. If you are caucasiian you will not enjoy the same advantage just for going to Morehouse.

BTW isn't Morehouse also private? Refer to what I said earlier about finances. UGA/State/Perimiter on the HOPE scholarship leaves you with a LOT more options in terms of what kind of medicine you practice that graduating with 200K in debt.

Thats a great point about the school giving a chance for all its students perusing medical school to apply (for their reasons of trying to keep up stats) and Yes I am AA and hold and acceptance letter to GA state but the university is GINORMOUS and I feel that maybe I would have a better chance of knowing my material, getting help from professors etc at a smaller college. UGA is extremely cometitive so I didnt bother after tech and Perimeter is a Community College.

Im planning on going to morehouse because their latest statistic says that out of 25 premeds that applied from thier school 23 got accepted so they must have a darn good premed program.

Bahh! don't decide where you're going to college based on something like this! You know how easily this number can be manipulated? My school had a committee that only gave letters of rec to the best applicants, making it very difficult for those that didn't make the cut to apply, so anyone who might be rejected from med school was artificially weeded out before applying.

Besides the dubious data, the fact that most got in means SO little about the school they're applying from... other then potentially bad things. Getting into med school is a personal journey, undergrad institution has almost nothing to do with it. You have to get sick grades, do cool stuff, and stay committed, no school's "pre-med program" is gonna do that for you. If they have such weird stats it probably means they weed out weaker students with horrific curves in orgo or something. NO GOOD CAN COME OF THIS. Go to school where you get a good vibe, where you get a cheap deal and where you can see yourself spending the next four years of your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is application season over? At least when I was there Tech had a much higher average SAT and GPA than UGA. Just because you got rejected from Tech doesn't mean you wouldn't be competitive there.
No their cycle isn't over yet its just that UGA never sparked an interest to me because they have no special WOW that sticks out to me.

I was a frat boy. It was OK. In retrospect, not sure I would do it again. Of course, I am 28 now, and not 18, so my perspective has changed. But frat life was OK but not a life changer, definitely not the most important aspect of college. Girls and beer pong.

I was a frat boy. It was OK. In retrospect, not sure I would do it again. Of course, I am 28 now, and not 18, so my perspective has changed. But frat life was OK but not a life changer, definitely not the most important aspect of college. Girls and beer pong.
:laugh: Yeah I would imagine. But I really want to have the frat experience and maybe put a bumper sticker on my car and other memorabilia when I get your age.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD THAT I GREATLY APPRECIATE ALL THE RESPONSES FROM YOU GUYS THAT ARE ACTUALLY IN MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!

:laugh: This is hilarious because I realized this not too long ago. SDN is great for anything prehealth but especially premed In fact I dont know where I would be right now without it because this is where I learned most of the things dealing with the medical education process. I know a guy in college that is a premed and never heard of SDN:shrug:. I tell him he doesnt know what he's missing out on.
Haha, most premed college students don't know about SDN. Most people in general don't take the time to try and educate themselves beyond what is handed to them (i.e. advisors.) I actually keep SDN a secret from people...I think it should be that kind of treasure you have to find on your own, and I don't really want 50 other students from my school coming on here knowing who I am/ruining the atmosphere. :laugh: That said, once you find it I think you deserve whatever you learn on here, and SDN is an amazing place.
On the financial side of greek life:

1) At least for men, rusing is usually free and involves free food

2) On many campuses, joining a fraternity can actually save you a significant amount of money if you use it often. My house was less than half the cost of the cheapest hosing on campus (saving about 2 K/semester) and it came with free parking ($500/semester). I also generally did house sponsored things on the weekend rather than spending my own money. Overall, even subtracting dues, I saved several thousand a year by going Greek.
Oh I wasn't trying to argue that going Greek is a bad financial move, I was just saying it wouldn't be best for me personally. I guess my school is one of the rare ones where registering for rush has significant fee. I have other personal reasons for not being interested in fraternities, but just financially, the way my scholarships play out I would lose money if I had Greek dues to pay.

From experience you know a lot more about Greek life than I do, but in any case I wasn't trying to persuade anyone either way. If rushing was free then I probably would have done it just to experience it.

No their cycle isn't over yet its just that UGA never sparked an interest to me because they have no special WOW that sticks out to me.

I hate to say it, but the prospect of free hope scholarship tuition vs. full private school tution should probably be a WOW for you.

I'd rate girls and beer pong just under breathing. I was told there would be girls and beer pong in medical school. If this is not the case I demand recompense. Payable in girls and beer pong.

I hate to say it, but the prospect of free hope scholarship tuition vs. full private school tution should probably be a WOW for you.

I understand where you're coming from but for students attending Georgia private colleges and universities, the HOPE scholarship will pay $3000 toward tuition for full time students and $1500 for half time students. Plus the college gives decent financial rewards to most of its students being that 75% of them are from the top 50% of their class and many of them being in the 15% such as me. So I wont be paying full private school tuition. If there is any tuition left to be paid back the size of the indebtedness shouldn't large enough that me and my family won't be able to take care of plus it would be worth the private setting and student teacher ratio etc. Plus UGA is only about $4,000 cheaper and being that they're so competitive the lake of the financial reward package I would get from them might offset the difference between the private school and public school

Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from but for students attending Georgia private colleges and universities, the HOPE scholarship will pay $3000 toward tuition for full time students and $1500 for half time students. Plus the college gives decent financial rewards to most of its students being that 75% of them are from the top 50% of their class and many of them being in the %15 such as me. So I wont be paying full private school tuition. If there is any tuition left to be paid back there shouldn't be any the me and my family won't be able to take care of plus it would be worth the private setting and student teacher ratio etc.

Good to know. I'm glad you've thought it out.

Take advantage of the time you have OP. It's enviable that you've stumbled upon the "treasure chest" that is SDN as early as you have. Use your time wisely and you will be a competitive med school applicant.

I wish you the best of luck!

Take advantage of the time you have OP. It's enviable that you've stumbled upon the "treasure chest" that is SDN as early as you have. Use your time wisely and you will be a competitive med school applicant.

I wish you the best of luck!
I agree. I was lucky enough to find this a full year and a half before I go to college and now down to a couple of months before college, I can honestly say that I've learned a lot. Most notably the do's and dont's and also learning from other people's mistakes:thumbup: