Any advice for an incoming international student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeruvianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I will be starting my undergraduate studies at an american college this fall, and I will also apply for med school after that. Do you have any advice for me? I know it is very hard for int'l students, but because I know I definitely want to attend med school I can plan my freshman year better. What should I do to increase my chances? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Pro tip: it's America.

Do well in your classes and try to marry a US citizen.

make a lot of friends and don't stay locked up in your racial community like asian people

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, I am south american, looking forward for friends of different backgrounds. So, is there any other advice, academically speaking?

become a US permanent resident or marry a citizen.

International students generally do not gain admission to medical school and those that do are typically Canadian, who are a special category of international students. Remember, as an international student, you won't be eligible for federal student loans, so many schools require you or your family to front the full cost of attendence, which can run more than 250k.

any other advice that doesn't involve becoming a us resident or marrying a citizen? International students do get admission, it might be a low number but they can, and money is not really an issue.

I am an international student about to graduate from a US med school. I clearly remember being in your difficult situation. Here are some tidbits, PM me if you have more questions:

1. Compile a list of places that will even look at your application. There used to be a few circling around the web, but they are old and I haven't seen new ones in a while. At any rate, it might be a good place to start, just CALL the programs to make sure they would consider you (my school no longer accepts internationals, for example).

2. You have to play your international weakness as your strength. I am from Mexico and I worked at rural clinics & public hospitals down there. I also reached out to Hispanic communities in the US and got involved in/started healthcare projects in these populations. When applying, talk about how people were discouraging you from applying as an international, but your determination was not hindered, etc. Again, turn this into your strength!

3. Get. Good. Grades. Money might not be your issue (cograts!), but you cannot afford to come in with a poor GPA/MCAT.

4. Consider D.O., I ended up at an MD school, but DO programs seemed more open to have me along.

any other advice that doesn't involve becoming a us resident or marrying a citizen? International students do get admission, it might be a low number but they can, and money is not really an issue.

Hit up research REALLY hard and early, choose a degree that makes you standout. A buddy of mine was thai, busted his ass really hardcore and had a pretty high MCAT, amazing GPA, sweet extra curriculars, spoke 3 or 4 languages, a ChemE degree, and a few publications before graduation. He ended up going to Rosalind Franklin.

Just keep in mind that even though the odds are against you its still possible. Make sure you don't have super high expecations of where you will be, but make sure you have super high expectations of how well you're going to do.

This is really good advice! thank you! Would a biomedE degree stand out more than a microbiology one?