Any advice for an MS3 interested in ER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GQPosterchild

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a third-year student at IUSOM who's interested in ER. Can anyone offer suggestions of fourth-year electives that they have found useful? Also, what are some thoughts on competitveness of ER residency matching. I beat the mean and school avg on step 1, with average grades and good evaluations from clinical rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

My fellow SDNers will hopefully follow suit and give you information... I will keep this short as I am leaving in a few minutes to drive to Ft. Lauderdale to take Step II of my boards (Stupid COMLEX isn't offered on the computer)...

I would do one or two audition rotations at EM residencies. You should sign up for them now, if you haven't already. I signed up for my first around November, and my second audition I signed up around April or May... so get on it. THe longer you take the less spots theer will be for visiting rotations.

As far as any other rotations, schedule really easy or slack rotations from Nov-Jan so you can interview. I have FP this month wtih a great attending who lets me off when I need it... (too bad I finished my interviewing in Dec)... it just makes it easier to interview and you won't feel as bad (or get into any trouble).

I would definately say that the competitiveness of EM is still pretty up there. I applied to 44 spots or so and got interview offers around 20. Obviously, better candidates will get a better percentage. Also, I'm a DO student, so your mileage may vary.

Also, pretending to be a hot brunette can help too, maybe that's why I got 20 interviews. Boy I bet they were surprised when I showed up on interview day. J/K.

To boards!
Q

I agree with Quinn on scheduling easy (or non-existant rotations) during interview time.

I did talk to a few ED attendings who mentioned helpful 4th year electives specifically for ED to do after the match. I know, it struck me too, I realized that to committ to any rotation of "substance" after matching into a program was completely for your own experience and knowledge base - I'll tell you what, that will separate the cream of the crop.

Anyway, good rotations suggested were:
ICU and CCU months
-get a good grasp of medical treatments of acute problems
-some hospitals put a member of their ICU team on the code
pagers, so you'll get exposure to more of those
Ortho
-practice those splints/casts
Plastics
-better your suturing ability
EKG / Radiology rotations
-my school has these and they are actually the easiest time
committment w/obvious great applications for EM
Ultrasound
-FAST scan, stones, etc (focus on ED applications)

Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
OK....maybe I am being picky; however, one word of advice that I think is important is to ensure that you use the proper terminology. For instance, the specialty is Emergency Medicine, and we are Emergency Medicine Physician......(it is not ER and we are not ER docs). One would not refer to a surgeon as an "Operating Room Doctor", a Radiologist as an "X-Ray Doctor", etc. Please, when you talk about the specialty use the appropriate terminology. After all, internists and Family Practitioners, etc. can work in an Emergency Room; however, they are not Emergency Medicine Trained.

The ABSOLUTE MOST IMPORTANT thing you must do to get into the EM residency of your choice is to get a mentor. Get to know one of the EM faculty at your hospital and let them know you are interested. They can help you meet the people you need to meet and do the things you need to do. I can't overstate the need for a mentor.

In a particular order you must do the following to match well in EM:

1) Get honors on your EM rotation
2) Rock your boards
3) Have no bad letters (as opposed to good ones)
4) Interview reasonably well
5) Have a high percentage of honors on your third year grades
6) Get involved in extra curricular activities
7) Apply to the right number of places (30-50 depending on how good the above stuff is)
8) Do an externship if you have not rotated at a place with a residency program
9) Do EM research if you can
10) Lie through your teeth to every program director that calls you up at dinner to ask if you're going to rank them number one.
11) Get an adviser
12) Never say ER doctor or ER medicine again