Any advice for Fulbright applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkpassengerMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who has previously won Fulbright scholarship can give me any advice for my application? I really want to win it. I have submitted it already through my school.

Members don't see this ad.

Which country? What are your ties with the country? How strong is your proposal? Fulbright is legit...you are going up against doctoral candidates who are submitting proposals that go along with their dissertation.

Which country? What are your ties with the country? How strong is your proposal? Fulbright is legit...you are going up against doctoral candidates who are submitting proposals that go along with their dissertation.
I am an undergraduate student applying for Latvia. I have already been accepted as a non-matriculate into a medical school in Latvia by the Dean of Biology for the academic 2015-16 year. There I will audit course and also do research this this Dean who accepted me into his many research. I am not sure how strong my proposal is but from my coordinator she said that I have a strong shot of winning it. Are you winner of Fulbright?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Ecuador a few years back and didn't get selected. My coordinator said I had a strong shot but my cousin recently completed her Fulbright. When we talked about the prep that went into applications, I realize now that my coordinator had nothing on the people who were advising her. Her history program seems to pump out Fulbright fellows. Has your coordinator ever helped anybody get a Fulbright before?

I applied to Ecuador a few years back and didn't get selected. My coordinator said I had a strong shot but my cousin recently completed her Fulbright. When we talked about the prep that went into applications, I realize now that my coordinator had nothing on the people who were advising her. Her history program seems to pump out Fulbright fellows. Has your coordinator ever helped anybody get a Fulbright before?

Yes she has. In fact she has helped over 60+ student win the Fulbright scholarship in three different universities. What does the committee look for when looking at application?

Yes she has. In fact she has helped over 60+ student win the Fulbright scholarship in three different universities. What does the committee look for when looking at application?
Shouldn't you be asking her if she is repeatedly helping students win the Fullbright scholarship?

Reactions: 1 users
She is a lady of few words....

If her methods worked so well in the past, I'm sure she chooses her words wisely. She has no reason to hold out on you and not help you be successful. I have friends that have done well, but it seems very nation-specific and not necessarily generalizable.

If her methods worked so well in the past, I'm sure she chooses her words wisely. She has no reason to hold out on you and not help you be successful. I have friends that have done well, but it seems very nation-specific and not necessarily generalizable.

What do you mean by nation-specific?

What do you mean by nation-specific?

My understanding is that the selection process is not completely centralized and that the committees for the nations to which you apply have their own input in who is accepted. They do not always align with what they look for and value in applicants.

My understanding is that the selection process is not completely centralized and that the committees for the nations to which you apply have their own input in who is accepted. They do not always align with what they look for and value in applicants.
Are you a Fulbright alumni?

Nope, but this ain't secret knowledge he's saying there. I know it to be true.

Source: fellowship advising committee from top school that starts pitching international fellowships to students starting in junior year.

Reactions: 1 user

Source: fellowship advising committee from top school that starts pitching international fellowships to students starting in junior year.
Moop is back? I thought you were banned? Or am I mistaken?

Members don't see this ad :)

Yep, it's something I've learned from knowing some people who have successfully been through it and from meeting a few people involved in the process. This is why I'm saying you should just trust your school if the lady has a strong track record, she knows what she's doing and it's in her interest for as many students to be as successful as possible.

If you've already submitted to your school, I'd just not fret over it.

I'm currently on a Fulbright grant / in the current medical school app cycle if you wanna ask me any questions.

I plan on applying for the research grant for China in two years and my topic will center around public health. I am actually going abroad to Tsinghua University in China for 6 months to brush up on my language skills and volunteer at a nonprofit, but I am also hoping to find an affiliate host university with whom I can do the research with (maybe Tsinghua ,but their school is huge and fulbright reccommends smaller universities for research in China).

If you are doing the research grant how did you find your host university/mentor for that country? Also if I get the award it will be during my application cycle, how accommodating have the schools been for skype interviews if you've received any yet, I know all fulbright awardees get or can take 2 weeks off, but how doable is it to fly back home and fit your interviews in those two weeks?

I'm currently on a Fulbright grant / in the current medical school app cycle if you wanna ask me any questions.
That's amazing! What country? What is the most important part of your application that they look at?

Yep, it's something I've learned from knowing some people who have successfully been through it and from meeting a few people involved in the process. This is why I'm saying you should just trust your school if the lady has a strong track record, she knows what she's doing and it's in her interest for as many students to be as successful as possible.

If you've already submitted to your school, I'd just not fret over it.
So your reply to my post is based on hear and say :(

So your reply to my post is based on hear and say :(

Unfortunately unless you're expecting someone from the Fulbright organization to come on SDN and give you an answer, you're going to get hearsay. My final advice on this is just to listen to your advisor and not worry about these things.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately unless you're expecting someone from the Fulbright organization to come on SDN and give you an answer, you're going to get hearsay. My final advice on this is just to listen to your advisor and not worry about these things.
Yeah that is what I was hoping for... :( And here I thought I was special. I guess for now I have to rely on your speculations.

I did listen to my advisor but I did not get enough information because she was busy with other applicants.

Yeah that is what I was hoping for... :( And here I thought I was special. I guess for now I have to rely on your speculations.

I did listen to my advisor but I did not get enough information because she was busy with other applicants.
Handouts is not how this business works. Do not expect that mentality to get you far.

Do your research. Ask other applicants. Ask prior students your adviser has passed through. Quit placing blame.

Handouts is not how this business works. Do not expect that mentality to get you far.

Do your research. Ask other applicants. Ask prior students your adviser has passed through. Quit placing blame.
Really? I was being sarcastic... You are watching House of Cards too much.

Isn't it late to be asking for advice, seeing as all of the applications were submitted weeks ago.