any advice for late start on premed track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bringindafunk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I would like advice on is the next step. I´m almost done with all requirements, and personally feel I am ready to apply but a friend suggested I try a postbac program to improve my GPA a tad.

interest in medicine:
Athough I was a biological science major I did not consider being a doctor until the beginning of my senior year. I immediately went to town and joined a lot of things, as well as continuing some previous directed research, that helped me get exposure to medicine. Obviously, starting so late I never really got any leadership experience from these activities.

gpa:
My GPA was low my first year, and since then there has been steady improvement. Although overall I believe it is around 3.4, the science GPA is likely around a 3.2. I still have to take biochemistry and a 2nd quarter or 2nd semester of ochem. I know I cannot count on getting an A, but taking classes somewhere other than UCLA could help my chances.

mcat:
I took the MCAT before moving to Spain to finish my spanish minor this past summer. I got a 33Q, 12-bs, 11-ps, 10-verbal. So I don´t think retaking this would help me at all.

My basic question is that if I´m willing to accept uncertainty about where I would go to school, that the UCs are always a crapshoot, and most other prestigeous schools are distant reaches, what could I do in the next year or year and a half to boost my application. I was thinking so far,
Postbacs to improve the GPA or
Research position - a little money is better than paying to stay in school some more

Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey bringindafunk,

Congrats on the MCAT, good job! You probably shouldn't take it again unless you were doing much better on your practice tests.

I would say that what is left for you to do is take some classes or enter into a postbac. program to boost your BCPM and cGPA by doing well in higher level science classes particularly in the fields that lowered your GPA.

Also, from going to numerous information sessions and having meetings with med students something that is greatly emphasized is clinical experience/strong commitment in extra curriculars. The clinical experience shows that you have taken the necessary steps to allow yourself to see if this career is the right one for you and used your time looking into and gaining experience on what healthcare professionals (doctors) actually do.

Research is not mandatory but it does help show that you explored science more in depth than the usual college class, maybe bring about a good letter of rec. from a PI and shows commitment in a field of choice. That's if you haven't thought about LORs yet but i'm not sure.

That's my 2cents...

If you apply in 1.5 years, that would give you enough time to accumulate the usual clinical experience, community service, and some type of leadership experience. During that time, you can raise your GPA by taking additional undergrad classes (an unofficial post-bac), preferably in upper-level science to show adcomms you will perform well in a med school environment. If you have a year of research experience already, you are fine. Do more if you're passionate about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of taking some CSU (california state classes) like you suggested to finish up my prerequisites. I like the idea about just taking some other upper division classes and working somewhere to help pay the bills, maybe even earn a little money for a trip:). Thanks to everyone for the responses