Any advice for someone who just decided on dental??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aupsilon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to get your thoughts on my chances on the dental admissions, and what they take into account and what they don't really care about. Ive seen posts here from people just entering college and stressing out, so I'm sure most of you know a lot more about the app process than i do. :laugh:

I'm getting my BS in biochemistry, but for the last few years, my concentrations outside of school have been in business. While in school, I've held some solid jobs at big name firms and I've started 2 companies.

Outside of school, my resume/portfolio, i believe would be impressive if I were applying for anything other than dental. I just basically wanted to get a lot of the other things I wanted to try and accomplish out of the way before I committed myself to this path.

As a result, my GPA is a little lower (3.0 ish), and I don't have much scientific research experience outside of school. My strongest LOE's wouldn't be from science professors, rather from previous employers. I'll have enough dentistry internship experience, but I was wondering if all this would really hurt me in the long run. Basically what I'm asking is how much will admissions care about accomplishments other than the standard research/shadowing/etc...

Or are getting high DAT scores be the only chance I'll have?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: