Any Advice is greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medpike

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie so bare with me. I'm going into my soph year at bu doing BME. My ultimate goal is to go to the university of michigan med school. I was just wondering what I should be doing to make this happen.

So far:

GPA - 3.85
I'm an EMT
In a Frat
Research Job
I volenteer at my local hospital and plan to shadow an md

OK! so my question is what kind of range of med schools can i expect to fall in. AND what is a competitive MCAT score for my goal.

Im sure you guys get hundreds of similar posts and i apologize, but any help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

nope, bu is a university sir.

Your GPA seems to be in line with their median GPA. What classes have you taken so far and your grades? (needed for calculation of BCPM, AO, and overall gpa's)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie so bare with me. I'm going into my soph year at bu doing BME. My ultimate goal is to go to the university of michigan med school. I was just wondering what I should be doing to make this happen.

So far:

GPA - 3.85
I'm an EMT
In a Frat
Research Job
I volenteer at my local hospital and plan to shadow an md

OK! so my question is what kind of range of med schools can i expect to fall in. AND what is a competitive MCAT score for my goal.

Im sure you guys get hundreds of similar posts and i apologize, but any help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

Looks pretty good, you got all the bases covered. As long as you get a solid MCAT (30+) you should be able to get some interviews at some mid-tier schools. If you're aiming high, then you'll probable need to kill the MCAT and add some sort of unique activity. Some good leadership experiences definitely wouldn't hurt either.

lets see, my classes thus far:

calc 1 & 2: A,A-
chem 1 & 2: A,A
physcis 1: A-
matlab: A
eng intros: A,A
writing: B+ (a true engineer haha)

i'm not too sure how to calculate the BCPM or AO?

what do you recommend i do to start preparing for the MCAT, any advice i can get will help. im not the best at standardized tests.

sorry about posting in the wrong place.

Overall GPA = 3.8375, BCPM GPA = 3.88, AO GPA = 3.76

Overall is everything, BCPM are all Bio Chem Physics and Math courses, AO being all other. Your gpa is right on the median of UMich's accepted applicants (3.8 BCPM and 3.8 overall).

Technically, you're preparing as you're taking those classes and from those grades, you are doing very well. If you really have a strong hold of those concepts as your grades suggest, your MCAT review should be a lot smoother and should be more efficient in terms of time. With that said, studying for the MCATs around a month or two before you are registered is what some people seem to do. Worry about acing your other classes and worry about the MCAT's when you actually register.

thanks alot.

i do feel as if i should start reading up on an MCAT verbal book (examkrackers from what i've read) because i'm not too strong in that category.

One more question (sorry!). Do med schools look at the writing portion of the MCAT highly when admitting applicants?

thanks alot.

i do feel as if i should start reading up on an MCAT verbal book (examkrackers from what i've read) because i'm not too strong in that category.

One more question (sorry!). Do med schools look at the writing portion of the MCAT highly when admitting applicants?

No, not really.... I vaguely recall some thread on SDN recently about this topic, you should search for it and check it out.