Any Advice is Welcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AaBbCcDdEe1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a low uGPA (2.45) in biomedical engineering. I went through some family issues for a couples years and it definitely took away from my focus. In addition I was extremely sick for a month with mono and strep and developed psoriasis which, if anyone else has it, is pretty terrible. I became depressed and thought about dropping out of school but decided to push through. In addition to all of my personal health developments, for many years my father had a drinking problem and this past spring suffered a handful of high grade seizures from withdrawal and was in a coma for a month. I have always been interested in the world of medicine but this convinced me to give it a shot. I have been working in research (immuno oncology and now probiotic bacterial research) for 2 years in Cambridge, MA at top tier research companies. I am now 24. I am applying to Post bacc programs in boston and hopefully will be accepted and do well in those. I plan on doing an SMP after and hopefully, if all goes well will apply for med school within 2-3 years. It is going to take a lot of work to get where I want to but it's something I am very interested in pursuing. I have a very strong work ethic and although my undergraduate GPA does not show it, I am an intelligent person. I have very good social skills as well and am able to relate and communicate with almost everyone I meet. I am looking into volunteering opportunities as well and hopefully all of these loose ends will come together for me. If there are any recommendations from people who have gone through similar experiences or those of you who have successfully made it and would like to shed some light on what is important to keep in mind that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

You can for sure make your app great within 2-3 years and your circumstances in undergrad were not good so don't let the following detract you from pursuing what you love. Unfortunately, the way medical schools admit now is by looking at your stats first, which means MCAT and GPA. You didn't mention your MCAT but your GPA is very low as you have pointed out and will be difficult to fix. I would recommend retaking some of your science courses where you didn't get a B. In addition, you need to show them the positive qualities of your attitude via extracurriculars such as medical and community volunteering. I have no doubt you can push to improve your app. When you do, apply wide and I am sure you will get what you truly desire.