Any advice is welcomed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA_Perez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 2004 graduate currently serving the US NAVY as an Undersea Medical Officer. During my 4 years of Medical School I focused my efforts in obtaining Radiology experience because that was what I wanted back then. After doing my Internship with the Navy, I got exposed to different aspects of the medicine field and realized that Ophthalmology is better suited for me (outpatient clinics and surgery). Especially after experiencing first handed the impact that a good Ophthalmologist has in combat wounded patients. My plan is to serve my time and then train in a civilian residency. But since I recently decided to pursue an Optho residency, I am lacking the ophtho rotations that most med students do. My board scores are the following: Step 1, 2 and 3: 235, 233 and 203 respectively. I also have a medical license in the State of Virginia. What can I do to improve my chances of matching in such a competitive field? Any suggestions from ex-military physicians? Keep in mind that I work full time in Pearl Harbor, HI. :cool:

JAP

Members don't see this ad.

Since its early match, make sure you have all the application materials preferably by july. Apart from USMLE scores, it will be nice to have some experience in ophthalmology which can include rotating at some programs. Since you are in HI, you might have to find some ophthalmologist to get some exposure.
A great LOR from an ophthalmologist, some research experience in ophthalmology will make ur application competitive.
I did my electives in ophthalmology at NYEE which was awesome. But you need to apply early.
Good luck!

I am a USAF flight doc and matched into ophtho this match. I'm going to a civilian program after my commitment is up. Any ophtho exposure you can get will be valuable, depending on the availability at your base. That can be challenging if there is no local eye MD or if your ops tempo keeps you from having much "academic time". Additionally, your unique experience as an independent doc will serve you well in the match process. Feel free to PM or email me for specifics about application or programs I visited. Good luck!

[email protected]