Any advice on how to begin studying for COMPLEX I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peiyueng

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 1st year med student just completed my first year. After two weeks of vocation, I am thinking about studying for COMPLEX I, just wondering if anyone out there got any good advice for me. Thanks.
( I know I should enjoy my last summer, but can't help to worry about the board)

[This message has been edited by peiyueng (edited June 17, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad.

My advice to you is to relax. Enjoy your time off. You won't be getting alot of it in the future. I started studying in March and scored in the 90th percentile. Studying now is only going to add to your stress load. The first year of med school is very traumatic, so take the time off and let your body relax.

Peiyueng,

I will assume you mean COMLEX Part 1 not COMPLEX...<laughing>. As was previously stated, enjoy your summer. My wife and I had a great time between my first and second years at WesternU (it was COMP then). Stop worrying about the boards! I don't know how many times I tell people that. I didn't start studying until the end of GI system. Everyone complains that 2 1/2 weeks isn't enough time to syudy but it is! I had 2.85 GPA and the end of my second year getting "C's" in the big systems of Neurosensory, Cardiovascular and GI system. I was ranked 110 our of 170 and I scored in the top 1/3 on part 1 of the boards. All I did to study was use "First Aid for the USMLE". I felt that everything was a REVIEW. The OMM final a month prior should prepare you for the OPP sections of the boards.

So, spend the summer relaxing and having a good time! You said somewhere else that your husband is also a MSII...I would take some time and have fun together. Go to Hawaii like my wife and I did. Good luck and don't worry about the boards. If you have done well enough during the first 2 years, you will do fine.

By the way, with those grades and scores I gave you, I got into a Family Medicine Residency at UCSF/University Medical Center in Fresno. If i can get into a UCSF program, anyone can.

Brandon Atkinson, D.O.
WesternU/COMP Class of 1999

Members don't see this ad :)
To Brandon and others,
Thanks, your words (Brandon) are very comforting. I guess I have been studying for too long and too hard, and can't seem to be able to relax anymore. I guess there will be hope for me after reading these messages. I was worried that there is just no way for me to remember everything I learned last year by next June. I did well in my 1st year, but I feel as though I am not prepared. Now that I have some hope, I guess we will go somewhere for fun. ^_^

Pei

[This message has been edited by peiyueng (edited June 10, 1999).]

As an associate of Brandon's let me say he's loud and obnoxious but a good doctor :) Western University is not my favorite D.O school but it has put out many fine doctors.

Brandon is right. If you paid attention in class Comlex 1 shouldn't be that tough. One mistake often made by second year med students is relying on note pool to study from. Make sure you go to the lectures no matter how dull you think they are in order to get the "feel" for what may be on the test.

Good luck!

are there any comlex review courses out there? i know kaplan has one for the usmle?

OsteoDOC said:
Peiyueng,

I will assume you mean COMLEX Part 1 not COMPLEX...<laughing>. As was previously stated, enjoy your summer. My wife and I had a great time between my first and second years at WesternU (it was COMP then). Stop worrying about the boards! I don't know how many times I tell people that. I didn't start studying until the end of GI system. Everyone complains that 2 1/2 weeks isn't enough time to syudy but it is! I had 2.85 GPA and the end of my second year getting "C's" in the big systems of Neurosensory, Cardiovascular and GI system. I was ranked 110 our of 170 and I scored in the top 1/3 on part 1 of the boards. All I did to study was use "First Aid for the USMLE". I felt that everything was a REVIEW. The OMM final a month prior should prepare you for the OPP sections of the boards.

So, spend the summer relaxing and having a good time! You said somewhere else that your husband is also a MSII...I would take some time and have fun together. Go to Hawaii like my wife and I did. Good luck and don't worry about the boards. If you have done well enough during the first 2 years, you will do fine.

By the way, with those grades and scores I gave you, I got into a Family Medicine Residency at UCSF/University Medical Center in Fresno. If i can get into a UCSF program, anyone can.

Brandon Atkinson, D.O.
WesternU/COMP Class of 1999

you can use USMLE material to study for comlex ?????????? is that smart???

MSc44 said:

Since I am took the COMLEX & USMLE, I used USMLE study materials (First Aid for USMLE and USMLE QBook) to study for both.

All you need for COMLEX in addition to USMLE materials is Savarese.

peiyueng said:
I am a 1st year med student just completed my first year. After two weeks of vocation, I am thinking about studying for COMPLEX I, just wondering if anyone out there got any good advice for me. Thanks.
( I know I should enjoy my last summer, but can't help to worry about the board)

[This message has been edited by peiyueng (edited June 17, 1999).]

1. What's COMPLEX?
2. What's vocation? Is that like a summer job?
3. Don't study. That's idiotic. You'll forget it all anyway.

peiyueng said:
To Brandon and others,
Thanks, your words (Brandon) are very comforting. I guess I have been studying for too long and too hard, and can't seem to be able to relax anymore. I guess there will be hope for me after reading these messages. I was worried that there is just no way for me to remember everything I learned last year by next June. I did well in my 1st year, but I feel as though I am not prepared. Now that I have some hope, I guess we will go somewhere for fun. ^_^

Pei

[This message has been edited by peiyueng (edited June 10, 1999).]

That's why you're going to review everything during the spring of your second year.

scrubs09 said:
are there any comlex review courses out there? i know kaplan has one for the usmle?

Take a USMLE review course.

Go through the OMM review questions once in Savarese, and you will get them all right.

OSUdoc08 said:
Take a USMLE review course.

Go through the OMM review questions once in Savarese, and you will get them all right.

so do most that take comlex use only usmle material.........do they have comlex review material.........is using usmle material the standard for studying for comlex

MSc44 said:
so do most that take comlex use only usmle material.........do they have comlex review material.........is using usmle material the standard for studying for comlex

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
1. What's COMPLEX?

I like the way how you are straightforward and sarcastic but stay true at the same time. And, you already know the answers to the first two q's. Vacation vs. Vocation. hahaha.

scrubs09 said:
There aren't really any review courses for the osteopathic portion of OMT you have learned but there are numerous spiral-bound books in your med school bookstore on how to study for the OMT portion. More often then not
the OMT department at your school will have a review for the OMT principles
and practices. They want you to do well as it reflects on them.
As for the majority of the test, the study guide for the USMLE Step 1 will be more then adequate. Keep in mind a passing score is 400 for steps 1 & 2 and 350 for step 3. In order to improve your chances for YOUR choice of a residency spot you should shoot for a score over 600.

Remember, the scramble if you don't match is hell. Study the above books and you should be fine.

MSc44 said:
Ah, the impetuousness of an MS1 student.

The tests are similar except for the OMT portions they mix in. The internal medicine, OB/gyn, pediatrics, psych on the COMLEX are virtually the same as the allopathic boards.

The First Aid for the USMLE is an excellent resource guide for the COMLEX exams 1-3.
Buy an OMT supplement for OPP from your med school's bookstore to study for that part.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you to buy OMM study materials OTHER THAN Savarese.

Savarese is all you need. You don't even need to read it. Just do the review questions in the back.

Stethescoper said:
Ah, the impetuousness of an MS1 student.

The tests are similar except for the OMT portions they mix in. The internal medicine, OB/gyn, pediatrics, psych on the COMLEX are virtually the same as the allopathic boards.

The First Aid for the USMLE is an excellent resource guide for the COMLEX exams 1-3.
Buy an OMT supplement for OPP from your med school's bookstore to study for that part.

Impetuousness. That's the fifty cent word for the day. Nice.

dtn3t said:
Impetuousness. That's the fifty cent word for the day. Nice.

Hey, how are you? How is life in VA?

OSUdoc08 said:
1. What's COMPLEX?

Wow, for 7 years no one bothered to correct that guy's spelling or belittle him and then you came along and did it. How does that feel?

Nate said:
Wow, for 7 years no one bothered to correct that guy's spelling or belittle him and then you came along and did it. How does that feel?

Someone has to do it, or it will go on for 7 more years.

If your name is spelled incorrectly, you are not even admitted to the COMLEX. Imagine if you don't even know how to spell the name of the exam!

OSUdoc08 said:
Someone has to do it, or it will go on for 7 more years.

If your name is spelled incorrectly, you are not even admitted to the COMLEX. Imagine if you don't even know how to spell the name of the exam!

Most med students are just trying to keep their heads above water. The COMLEX used to be called the NBOME steps1-3. I think we can give the guy a break about something brand new to him.

Remember how hard the first year of med school was? He has a lot on his mind so please forgive him misspelling the acronym.
Have a nice day