any advice on my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medonly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student a top 30 med school. Always wanted to be in ophtho. and am pretty sure about my choice. I have worked in labs and helped people with their research but do not have any publications. Very active in med. school activities and clubs.
I have a few honors during my first two years. Third year everything is High Pass including Medicine and Surgery. Step 1 is at 227.
I would appreciate an honest opinion of my chances in matching in the awsome field of eye surgery.
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

We interviewed several applicants with your credentials at Iowa. ;)

Your goal now is to:

1) complete a 4-week rotation in ophthalmology

and

2) get strong letters of support from 2 ophthalmology faculty.

I had a similar question, although I do not have all the pluses of medonly. I was foolish and have coasted through med school my first 2 years, thinking I wasn't interested in anything that was competitive. However, I really fell in love with ophthalmology during an ophtho class near the end of 2nd year. To drop a pun here, it opened my eyes to something I hadn't previously considered. USMLE 1 score is solid (236). I had convinced myself that I would improve my GPA during 3rd/4th year.

This is turning out to be far harder than I had anticipated. It seems that if anything the bell curve for my class has gotten tighter, with very few people scoring As and very few getting less than Bs. Suffice to say, my plan to improve the GPA is slowly going the way of the buffalo.

I have secured a four week surgical rotation in ophtho later in the year so I should have the opportunity to get some good LOR. I've also spoken with some of the residents about their career choice to get a better understanding of what I'm getting myself into. I'm published, albeit not in ophtho, and have some limited experience with veterinary corneal ulceration studies.

My questions boils down to these: Am I being ridiculous to get my hopes up regarding this as a career, given my less-than-ideal class ranking? Would my pluses be able to balance the grades out so that I would at least get an interview? Or would the low class rank get my app tossed before they looked at the rest?

I realize that this isn't something where a definitive answer can be given, but any help/opinions/donations would be appreciated. Thanks, and wish me :luck:

(edited to correct step 1 score from 326 to 236)

Members don't see this ad :)
monkey7247 said:
I had a similar question, although I do not have all the pluses of medonly. I was foolish and have coasted through med school my first 2 years, thinking I wasn't interested in anything that was competitive. However, I really fell in love with ophthalmology during an ophtho class near the end of 2nd year. To drop a pun here, it opened my eyes to something I hadn't previously considered. USMLE 1 score is solid (236). I had convinced myself that I would improve my GPA during 3rd/4th year.

This is turning out to be far harder than I had anticipated. It seems that if anything the bell curve for my class has gotten tighter, with very few people scoring As and very few getting less than Bs. Suffice to say, my plan to improve the GPA is slowly going the way of the buffalo.

I have secured a four week surgical rotation in ophtho later in the year so I should have the opportunity to get some good LOR. I've also spoken with some of the residents about their career choice to get a better understanding of what I'm getting myself into. I'm published, albeit not in ophtho, and have some limited experience with veterinary corneal ulceration studies.

My questions boils down to these: Am I being ridiculous to get my hopes up regarding this as a career, given my less-than-ideal class ranking? Would my pluses be able to balance the grades out so that I would at least get an interview? Or would the low class rank get my app tossed before they looked at the rest?

I realize that this isn't something where a definitive answer can be given, but any help/opinions/donations would be appreciated. Thanks, and wish me :luck:

(edited to correct step 1 score from 326 to 236)

Grades and USMLE are one factor. Your USMLE of 236 is on target.

Remember that ~ 20% are AOA who match in ophthalmology. The remaining 80% are like you and me who are not AOA. ;)

Thanks for the info. From reading on ophtho and the way people talk at my school, you'd think all successful applicants were AOA members who run homeless shelters in their spare time. :rolleyes:

monkey7247 said:

Matching into ophtho is definitely within reach for you. Of course your grades will cost you some interviews, but you'll still get offers. Just apply broadly and do you best from here on out.

well here it is again... an IMG who aspires for ophthalmology... Sounds impossible.
What would you recommend for one who does ? Who has done a few rotations in the US .
No research however so far .

Any inputs would help !

Thanks.

thewildleo said:
well here it is again... an IMG who aspires for ophthalmology... Sounds impossible.
What would you recommend for one who does ? Who has done a few rotations in the US .

Any inputs would help !

Thanks.

I'm guessing you've got a tougher road than I. No advice, but good luck to you. :luck:

thewildleo said:

Any inputs would help !
Thanks.

Advice:
1.Get good board scores (people will tell you 99, but that is not true). TRy well above the average of US and Canadian graduates (i.e. above ~220).
Try to get your ECFMG certificate before applying , as well as a California Appl letter for application in California programs.
2. Do an away rotation in the states and get recommendation letters from US physicians
3. Start doing research now. Get into labs, do case reports, clinical research. The works.
4. Apply to as many ophth programs as you can afford. There are approx 120 of them. I made a mistake and selectively applied to only 40 the first year. I am not planning of repeating that mistake.
5. Try to meet people that can help you with either LORs, phone-calls or other inout.
6. Have a good trasncript at your school and rank highly among your class.
7. Cross you fingers and pray to any good you believe in...

D

demspawn said:
Advice:
1.Get good board scores (people will tell you 99, but that is not true). TRy well above the average of US and Canadian graduates (i.e. above ~220).
Try to get your ECFMG certificate before applying , as well as a California Appl letter for application in California programs.
2. Do an away rotation in the states and get recommendation letters from US physicians
3. Start doing research now. Get into labs, do case reports, clinical research. The works.
4. Apply to as many ophth programs as you can afford. There are approx 120 of them. I made a mistake and selectively applied to only 40 the first year. I am not planning of repeating that mistake.
5. Try to meet people that can help you with either LORs, phone-calls or other inout.
6. Have a good trasncript at your school and rank highly among your class.
7. Cross you fingers and pray to any good you believe in...

D

Thanks for the advice demspawn. I really appreciate it.
Better luck next year !

BTW : do u have any suggestions on how to go about applying for research/pre-residency fellowship postions ?

Thanks once again.

Thewildleo

thewildleo said:
Thanks for the advice demspawn. I really appreciate it.
Better luck next year !

BTW : do u have any suggestions on how to go about applying for research/pre-residency fellowship postions ?

Thanks once again.

Thewildleo

Google ophthalmology research fellowships.
Call up whatever comes up.
Go through people you know.
PM me if you are interested in something in Canada.

D