[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notyouraverageapplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think you're getting in with a sub 3.0 GPA man. You gotta fix that first before thinking SMP. A lot of those program have a cutoff of 3.0 just to apply and they are strict with that.

Suggest doing a post-bac (DIY) instead. You will need to ace (3.7+) everything over a 1-2 y year period

Hey all,

Long time lurker on SDN and in desperate need of advice on what to do next. I am currently finishing up a few classes for my degree in biomedical engineering and will be applying to SMPs in hopes to gain admission to a medical school the following year.

Here are my stats:
- MCAT: 508
- sGPA: 2.0
- cGPA: 2.1
(Retook many classes with failing grades - was working full time in undergrad to pay for my tuition)
- Ton of clinical research experience including two publications
- Volunteered overseas
- Rec letters from well known docs

I don't really have an upward trend or anything. It's quite scattered and mostly due to my family commitments and working full time.Do you guys think I have a chance of being accepted to an SMP this year such as Rosalind or LECOM? Do SMPs look at classes that I have retaken or disregard that? My GPA jumps up to a 2.8 or so if they ignore the retakes.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Listen to @Goro. However, I want to stress this, do NOT rush into an SMP or a DIY post-bac. Your MCAT score suggests that you have the right "stuff" to get the job done, but you have way too much going on right now in your life. The worst thing you could do right now is rush into a program and not do well because that would most likely be your last chance.

Reactions: 2 users
Listen to @Goro. However, I want to stress this, do NOT rush into an SMP or a DIY post-bac. Your MCAT score suggests that you have the right "stuff" to get the job done, but you have way too much going on right now in your life. The worst thing you could do right now is rush into a program and not do well because that would most likely be your last chance.

And listen to me too.

Yeah I definitely agree! But a lot of things that were going on throughout college are now no longer a part of my life.. I do not have the commitments I had before. I really think I could be fine if I start fresh this year with an SMP (if I am lucky enough to get one) and move forward from there.

Reactions: 1 user