Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

any advice please

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by water4girl, Oct 10, 2002.

1. water4girl

water4girl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,
    I am a recent college graduate who has determined to apply to med school. I do not have the requirments and so I know that I have to apply to a post bac program. I wll be doing that in May but until then would it be more benefical to volunteer or work in a lab as a research lacky. I was thinking direct patioent contact but ....? any help appreicated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

you can do a postbac if you want, but you don't have to do a formalised postbac. you could just start in on the courses now. Depending what you are missing you could have several already complete come May.

clinical vs research depends what you are interested in. If you have no clinical I would say getting that is more important as you need to be sure yourself that this is something you want to do before committing.

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i definitely think clinical work is more important than research unless you want to be a researcher. try to find something that lets you have some patient contact. it doesn't necessarily need to be in a hospital setting as long as you're getting some sort of health experience with patient contact.

i agree with the boy wonder on the post bac thing. you can just take the premed classes at any university and don't need to be in a formal program. you can do a search on sdn about post bac programs, and you will probably find some good information. they can be expensive i'd imagine, but they have the advantage of offering good advising and letters of rec. i probably wouldn't go through a program if i were you unless it's convenient to your home.

5. TexasGuy41

TexasGuy41 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree, go for the clinical stuff. If you have no science background, its way easier to get a job pushing patients around a hospital or something than it is to get a job in a lab. Plus any job you get in a lab will probably be cleaning glassware or doing something completely irrelevant (can you tell i don't like Labs?).
    I would also start taking a class or two now so you have less stuff to do when you graduate.