Any advice: stay at UC, go to JC & fix GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimplySome1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do I do?
Hi Everyone (first off thanks for taking the time to even read this let alone reply; Sorry it's long),

I'm in a tough spot right now... I'm a second year Biology student at a UC and I have no idea what to do.
To put it simply I've done really atrocious in terms of grades these past 3 quarters & it seems like this quarter is going to turn out the same way.

At this point I wish I could cite reasons/excuses/explanations on why/how this has happened (I was a straight A student in high school, IB, AP, Honors, Salutatorian, etc.) but the truth is not exactly sure except that I'm the problem. It might be due in part to my difficulty adjusting, another part may be that I'm just incredibly dumb, I don't study hard enough, I'm immensely stupid, my family's driving me crazy (I commute), I have poor time management/planning skills and a really bad internet addiction, my lack of motivation: I don't try hard enough, my lack of self control: I'm really impulsive, and etc... I mean I've tried tutors, and solo... I don't have much volunteer experience; I just started volunteering at the hospital a couple months ago.

Bottom line: I have a 3.170 right now (it's going to go down for sure this quarter);
just science & math it's 3.073 (I've gotten B/B- in Calculus and 2B-/C+ in Chem)
At first, I was just going to retake Calculus & GChem at a JC over the coming summer & thought everything would be fine.

BUT right now I'm taking Genetics, Organic Chem+ Lab and the thing is it's starting to dawn me that I'm probably going to get a C (best case scenario) or worse in Organic Chemistry and Genetics.
Aside from kicking me out of the Biology major, that's definitely going to ruin my chances of going anywhere for med school... my question to you guys then is should I stay at UCI & try to fix my grades here or are my grades a clear indicator that I need to back track, head back to a JC, figure out what's wrong with me & do things differently? Would med schools reject me if I went from a UC to a JC then back (or somewhere else)? I mean, I'm wasting *A LOT* of money to get pathetically awful low grades that won't get me anywhere... What do you think? Any insight would be helpful.
Thank you in advance & please please be nice I'm very unstable & depressed right now...

Members don't see this ad.

What do I do?
Hi Everyone (first off thanks for taking the time to even read this let alone reply; Sorry it's long),

I'm in a tough spot right now... I'm a second year Biology student at a UC and I have no idea what to do.
To put it simply I've done really atrocious in terms of grades these past 3 quarters & it seems like this quarter is going to turn out the same way.

At this point I wish I could cite reasons/excuses/explanations on why/how this has happened (I was a straight A student in high school, IB, AP, Honors, Salutatorian, etc.) but the truth is not exactly sure except that I'm the problem. It might be due in part to my difficulty adjusting, another part may be that I'm just incredibly dumb, I don't study hard enough, I'm immensely stupid, my family's driving me crazy (I commute), I have poor time management/planning skills and a really bad internet addiction, my lack of motivation: I don't try hard enough, my lack of self control: I'm really impulsive, and etc... I mean I've tried tutors, and solo... I don't have much volunteer experience; I just started volunteering at the hospital a couple months ago.

Bottom line: I have a 3.170 right now (it's going to go down for sure this quarter);
just science & math it's 3.073 (I've gotten B/B- in Calculus and 2B-/C+ in Chem)
At first, I was just going to retake Calculus & GChem at a JC over the coming summer & thought everything would be fine.

BUT right now I'm taking Genetics, Organic Chem+ Lab and the thing is it's starting to dawn me that I'm probably going to get a C (best case scenario) or worse in Organic Chemistry and Genetics.
Aside from kicking me out of the Biology major, that's definitely going to ruin my chances of going anywhere for med school... my question to you guys then is should I stay at UCI & try to fix my grades here or are my grades a clear indicator that I need to back track, head back to a JC, figure out what's wrong with me & do things differently? Would med schools reject me if I went from a UC to a JC then back (or somewhere else)? I mean, I'm wasting *A LOT* of money to get pathetically awful low grades that won't get me anywhere... What do you think? Any insight would be helpful.
Thank you in advance & please please be nice I'm very unstable & depressed right now...

you are a second year. Still have two years left or am I reading this wrong?

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to sort out your motivation and personal issues now before you even start to worry about whether or not you're going to be competitive for medical school. If you really aren't in a place where it makes sense for you to be in college, then take some time off if you need to. Don't keep throwing away money to get bad grades and be unhappy. However, I don't know that going to a JC for better grades would be the answer. That would be viewed as going backwards, and it would not address the underlying issues that are causing your current bad grades, which gets us back to where I started. Medical school will be harder than undergrad. You're only in your second year and so you haven't doomed yourself yet, especially with grade replacement for DO schools, but you need to get more important things sorted out first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go wherever you can get the highest grades. Test the waters by taking some JC summer courses to see if you can hack it there before making any major decisions. Make sure that your final degree comes from a respectable school. Kick butt on the MCAT, rock some re-takes, apply broadly and consider DO schools. Do a postbac or SMP if necessary.

UC science programs at the undergraduate level care more about weeding kids out than actually educating them.