Any advice / thoughts on my application? (WAMC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

namyaila

Hey guys what's up. I was just hoping you could let me know about my chances. I already sent out my primary to bunch of schools, but I just got my MCAT result today so I have a more complete application. Please let me know if you think I have any odds at all.

513 MCAT (89th percentile)
  • 126 CP, 128 B, 128 CARS, 131 Psych
1000+ paid hours as front desk at a medical office
200+ paid hours as medical office biller
100+ hours shadowing a physician (internal medicine)
volunteer trip to Pakistan
VP of a service and social fraternity
board of college red cross
500+ hours of paid math / physics / statistics tutoring
I think a pretty solid personal statement that's unique
Mathematics major (theoretical)

but here's the real bad catch

My gpa is super low, only a 3.4, but AMCAS calculates it kind of weird at about a 3.2 .
However, in the past 15 classes I've taken I've gotten all A's (and one A-), so I am hoping that medical schools see the upwards trend.

Please any honest opinions would be great!

Best.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are low for MD schools but your high MCAT may attract some attention. Include all these schools to maximize your chances:
All your state public schools
Quinnipiac
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
California Northstate
Realistically you should be applying to DO schools and you are competitive for most DO schools. Apply to at least 15 schools and you should receive some interviews.

Your chances are low for MD schools but your high MCAT may attract some attention. Include all these schools to maximize your chances:
All your state public schools
Quinnipiac
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
California Northstate
Realistically you should be applying to DO schools and you are competitive for most DO schools. Apply to at least 15 schools and you should receive some interviews.

Thanks so much. I applied to about 15 MD schools, and I was thinking ~4 DO schools (NYIT, Michigan State, Chicago). Do you think those are alright backups?

Thanks so much. I applied to about 15 MD schools, and I was thinking ~4 DO schools (NYIT, Michigan State, Chicago). Do you think those are alright backups?
Michigan State accepts mainly Michigan residents. Apply to many DO schools also so you can receive at least 1 acceptance and avoid going through the application process again next year.