Any advice to get BS from 10 to 12 range?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want ~35 on my MCAT coming up on May 2nd, so I have a little than 4 weeks left.

As of now, I can get like 12-13 on PS, 10 on VR (more like 9 right now, but it will go back up to 10 with more practice like last year), and 10 on BS.

I need to get that bio up to 12 or so to get me that 35. I just went over EK bio for content review, but I am fine on content. I did all of TBR ochem for ochem, so I'm good on that. TBR really drills that stuff into your head, but unfortunately, I forgot how little ochem actually is in the BS. It's really just reading comprehension now...how do you improve that? just lots of practice passages?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually found the EK audio osmosis to be helpful with the biology section. The cd's on the organic lab techs. and the bio cd's really help me learn some details for that section that I believe increased my bio score from 9 to 12. Just my opinion.

I'm in the exact same boat as the OP. I bought the EK 1001 Bio and I think I'm going to try to do everything in that book in the next 3 weeks, lol. Any other advice would be great...

Also, I've memorized the EK AO (know all the jokes by heart, lol).

I went through EK1001 and even though I missed a lot, I went through all 1001 questions and physically wrote why I got each question right and wrong. I'd do about 50-100 a day. You'd be surprised how many times EK repeats questions. I got one on the MCAT that was straight out of that book...one about the amino acid that is an alpha helix breaker (answer: proline) so that was nice...even though I already went through it in biochem...

Oh and I got 13 on BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through EK1001 and even though I missed a lot, I went through all 1001 questions and physically wrote why I got each question right and wrong. I'd do about 50-100 a day. You'd be surprised how many times EK repeats questions. I got one on the MCAT that was straight out of that book...one about the amino acid that is an alpha helix breaker (answer: proline) so that was nice...even though I already went through it in biochem...

Oh and I got 13 on BS.

what were you getting on BS before EK1001?

If you are a bio major you should be hitting an 11 just with your bio knowledge alone since they just test basic bio. I get stomped by orgo but only miss 1-2 bio question lol..it sucks.

I would say perfect your orgo and get a 13-14...it's VERY doable to get a 14 on the BS

Oh and I got 13 on BS.

I would be so happy if they put more biochem on it. It'd screw up people who haven't taken it yet :D

i am a bio major lol. and i actually mastered ochem now because BR! I think I can do really well, but I only have GS tests to test myself so I don't know for sure what I can really get. I used and wasted all the AAMCs last year lol

I have no taken the test yet (may 2nd) but I am getting around 12-13 on BS so maybe I can comment on this.

I am a neuroscience major so granted, my bio was pretty strong to began with but I did solid content review for bio before I started (went through EK, TRP about 2 times each). After that for me was just problem, problem, problem, to really study how they try to trick us. I am taking TRP course but I almost done with the entire science work book with only few more passages left from each subject. What I try to do is not only to study questions I got wrong (those I really try to pay attention) but even the ones I go right, I wrote at least 1-2 sentence about the underlying concept of that question until that concept became so natural to me that I didn't need to write it down anymore. I keep a note book on all the questions I have ever done and try to review all of it before each FL I take. I think it's been helping since my BS went from 11-13 and PS from 7-11 right now.