Any advice would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReAppThrowaway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This may be a very long post. I am looking for any advice or guidance about possible reapplication.

For this cycle (my first), I am currently on hold at one state school. I got rejected from another state school post II. I sent my primary to 10 schools, but only completed secondaries for my two state schools. I think this may have been a mistake, but I am moving forward as best as possible. I elected to not submit secondaries for three main reasons.

1) I completed my app late, submitting primary in August. I know this was a mistake. This was primarily due to lack of ECs in Undergrad and obtaining LORs.

2) I did not know if my app would be competitive OOS.

3) I did not want to spend a few thousand dollars, in debt, due to 1 and 2.

I did not apply DO because of the above reasons, mostly financial. The one school I am on hold for is wait list friendly. I think 10-25% get off the waitlist based on previous years. However, I want to be prepared to submit as soon as AMCAS opens if I need to. I am fully committed to reapplying either this year or next year post rejection. I have talked to my parents, and I am willing to take on additional debt/find a new job/accept some of their assistance to apply broadly including DO.

I graduated last year with a degree in engineering. My GPA was ~3.7 with a sGPA of ~3.7. I scored a 512 on the MCAT (128 across the board, 2017). I have 2200 hours of work as an ED scribe with projected 2500-4500 depending on if/when I quit. I had 100 hours of clinical volunteering on my app. I have 150 hours clinical and 50 hours nonclinical currently. I have 25 hours of physician shadowing (planning on having 100-150 by June). I recently picked up a job working with high school kids in a leadership position (not on my app this cycle, 300 hours). I have 600 hours of research in undergrad. One publication is in the making, but it is likely a year out. I have 4000 hours of restaurant work during undergrad. I play a few sports recreationally and run. I have reasonably strong LORs. My personal statement has received good feedback. I am a traditional ORM male.

I have two primary questions.

1) When should I reapply

2) Should I consider rewriting my PS/activities since I only submitted two secondaries with two II. Also, should I reconsider my LORs.

The improvements to my app would be the leadership experience, additional volunteering hours (+50 clinical, +50 nonclinical with projected 200 more hours by June 2018. I could also project hours further into August as both are ongoing), 50-150 shadowing hours (I have a couple of Physicians that have already agreed, and I have a couple more that I think would allow me), and additional hours as ED scribe. I feel as if my GPA/MCAT do not need to be improved. I would be open to this if suggested. However, I have heard that retaking a 512 is not smart, and that a ~3.7 is somewhat competitive/not worth the additional time and tuition.

I have four main concerns to reapplying this upcoming cycle.

1) Are these improvements good enough to reapply for my in state schools. I have not contacted them yet (recently rejected and on hold). I will definitely contact them. Both of the schools seem genuinely happy to help rejected applicants.

2) Will my reapp look bad for the 8 schools I sent a primary to but did not complete secondary? These 8 were my favorite schools barring my state schools. I do not know if the financial concern/strength of app is a good enough reason.

3) Is a second unsuccessful cycle extremely harmful for my chances. I.e. is it worth it to take an additional year off.

4) How strong is my app for OOS? I want to be extremely careful with decreasing my IS chances with back to back applications if my app is not competitive for OOS.

I am currently volunteering, working as a scribe, and working with the leadership experience. Ideally, I would like to quit scribing in July/August (2 month notice, and I will likely hear back in May from the one school on hold). I feel like after 2000 hours it offers diminishing returns, and the hours are not healthy for me. The pay is terrible. I do love the job, and I would be willing to continue scribing. However, I feel the erratic schedule is not worth additional benefit. I am also strongly considering working 1-3 shifts a month. Is volunteering, shadowing, and working a nonclinical job (business/engineering) a good plan for an additional gap year or during the upcoming cycle? Is scribing past 2000-2500 hours worth it? I would love to get back to a somewhat regular schedule if the benefit to my application is small.

Ultimately, I do not want to wait an additional year to reapply. However, I have heard that two unsuccessful cycles close together is a red flag. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me for additional details or questions.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this far.

Members don't see this ad.

- When should I reapply.
Early and when your application is at its strongest

- Should I consider rewriting my PS/activities since I only submitted two secondaries with two II. Also, should I reconsider my LORs.
You can keep the same content, but rewrite them because many schools still have access to old applications and even though they likely don't look at them because it'd be a huge waste of time and pain in the butt, it would look very lazy of you if they did. Your LORs are probably fine since you were able to get an II.

- Are these improvements good enough to reapply for my in state schools?
You should absolutely reapply to your state schools, their interview statistics heavily favor you. Also, schools where you were issued IIs in your previous cycle often turn into another II the next cycle if you fix your deficits.

- Will my reapp look bad for the 8 schools I sent a primary to but did not complete secondary? These 8 were my favorite schools barring my state schools. I do not know if the financial concern/strength of app is a good enough reason.
Yes, you are still considered a reapplicant at those schools thus there is literally no reason as to why you did not plan this better if you did not have the funds. It will count as a knock against you, which is why you will now need to take as much time as you need to polish your app and apply early and when your application is at its strongest. Cannot stress these 2 points enough.

- Is a second unsuccessful cycle extremely harmful for my chances. I.e. is it worth it to take an additional year off.
Yes, some schools don't even let you send another application after a second rejection, even more schools don't allow it after a third. This is why you need to plan this cycle out and take the time you need to strengthen your app significantly before you attempt this again.

- How strong is my app for OOS? I want to be extremely careful with decreasing my IS chances with back to back applications if my app is not competitive for OOS.
What is your state of residence? Assuming okay ECs, with a 3.7/512 you probably would have gotten multiple low/mid tier OOS IIs so be sure to include schools like this in your reapp, especially those that you are not considered a reapplicant for. You are a reapplicant and reapplicants are beggars and beggars cannot be choosy so take all the time you need to save up funds to reapply broadly, including to DOs. Med school isn't going anywhere.

- Is volunteering, shadowing, and working a nonclinical job (business/engineering) a good plan for an additional gap year or during the upcoming cycle? Is scribing past 2000-2500 hours worth it?
You will need to post a more detailed breakdown with hours of clinical/nonclinical volunteering, shadowing, research, and leadership so that we get a sense of where your deficits lay.

- Ultimately, I do not want to wait an additional year to reapply
There is no shame about starting med school a little older than most people. So avoid jumping into applying like you did last time and apply when your application is at its strongest. Take as long as you need

Thank you for the reply.

Essentially I was wondering if I should reapply this cycle, with or without my instate schools, based on the fact that I only submitted to 10 schools, or if i should wait an additional year. I will definitely apply as soon as AMCAS opens either this cycle or next. I should have just submitted the secondaries with a credit card and figured out possible II as it went, but hindsight is 20/20. I live in the southeast. I can pm you state if you wish, but I am trying to preserve some anonymity.

This cycle:
ED scribe:1500 hours
Research:600 hours
Clinical volunteering: 100 hours
Work:4000 hours
Shadowing:25 hours in specialized surgery
Leadership:Two positions through scribing

Current (Tentative in June):
ED scribe:2200 hours (2500)
Research:600 hours
Clinical volunteering: 150 hours (200)
Nonclinical volunteering: 50 hours (100)
Work: 4000 hours
Shadowing:25 hours (75-150)
Leadership:Two positions through scribing, position working with high school kids

I feel that my weaknesses were (and still are) in shadowing, volunteering, and leadership. I submitted my primary to 10 schools because I thought other aspects of my app outweighed the weaknesses, but looking back I second guessed myself. The late submission also dissuaded me from submitting the secondaries. I definitely see why applying the way I did was not in my best interest. I feel like my app will be more well rounded by June, but if I took another year I could continue strengthening it. I feel like direct feedback from both schools will be very helpful in my decision.

It may be that the direct feedback gives a more direct answer to whether or not I should wait a year or not to reapply. However, a physician recommended this forum. Particularly, I'm wondering if my instate schools recommend taking an additional year, is it a good idea to just apply OOS. Also, I am curious if what I am doing now is good for the upcoming year and general advice for reapplying given the circumstances of my first application. I felt that my GPA/MCAT were not worth messing with but additional opinions are always helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to apply broadly to many appropriate schools to increase your chances for more interviews. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your state public schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
West Virginia
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Carle Illinois
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
California University (new school)
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman)

Sorry to bring this thread back, but would a DO re-applicant have the same stigma as being an MD re-applicant would?