Any advice would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsinha81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I would like to do fellowship in Allergy and Asthma. I am considering UMDNJ-RWJ for residency but they don't have an Allergy Asthma fellowship - but their Newark campus does.

Another place I am considering highly is North Shore LIJ which does have the fellowship. Other places I interviewed at like Penn State-Hershey and Winthrop also have Allergy Asthma. However, I would like to be at a university program close to NY.

Please advise on whether I should go with a university program like UMDNJ-RWJ and hope to land a fellowship in allergy asthma somewhere or whether i should take the safe route and try to get into North Shore LIJ

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

I would like to do fellowship in Allergy and Asthma. I am considering UMDNJ-RWJ for residency but they don't have an Allergy Asthma fellowship - but their Newark campus does.

Another place I am considering highly is North Shore LIJ which does have the fellowship. Other places I interviewed at like Penn State-Hershey and Winthrop also have Allergy Asthma. However, I would like to be at a university program close to NY.

Please advise on whether I should go with a university program like UMDNJ-RWJ and hope to land a fellowship in allergy asthma somewhere or whether i should take the safe route and try to get into North Shore LIJ

Thanks

I believe NS-LIJ is set to become a university program in the near future. It is the sort of program that a lot of people choose over lower tier university programs in NY for a number of different reasons.

Hello All,

Thanks

RWJ > North Shore at the moment. North Shore is quickly expanding however. Rumored to be buying up Lenox Hill Hospital to open up a Manhattan campus. Hofsta med opening up in 2011 with North Shore Health System.

Allergy is getting more and more competitive. You need to go to a university program. We can have a whole nother debate on community vs university programs, but when you get to my level, you will realize that reputation matters more and more as you get higher up.

Winthrop, though in NY, and Penn State should be lower on your list. RWJ is the best hospital in NJ, period. Northshore is still relatively untested. Yes, it will be a major player in the future and they claim to to favor their own, but the number of fellowship spots across are still being adjusted, since the merger is not complete yet.