any advice would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PopeJoja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Biology + psychology major
My stats are cgpa 3.39, sgpa 3.38. (at a tier one school) Studying for mcat right now. FUN stuff!

I have a history of volunteering at hospice and urban hospitals.

Shadowed a child psychiatrist/researcher

I also have extracurricular that I wasn't very enthusiastic about, so I think I am weak in that department. The only thing I really enjoy is tutoring because I love to teach.

Anyway, I work in a clinical setting, have direct contact with patients/nurses/doctors/techs, and learn a lot which I think will help a lot if I become a medical student.

My talent is painting, sketching, drawing, etc. I also am known for my people skills.

I am weak on legit research experience (only about two months of real research).

I've aspired to be a psychiatrist/clinical researcher since high school (I know it can change)

I would know what my chances are with both DO and MD... I've looked into a lot of school and would like to know specifically if I can get into CCOM or NYCOM. As for MD, what schools do you think I can manage with my stats. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're are below average for both MD and DO programs, but I believe an acceptance at a DO program *somewhere* is likely to come. If you want to become more competitive, you'll need to do post-bacc work and get a steep upward trend.

I think your chances at MD are quite low. Again, post-bacc would be necessary.

As for CCOM and NYCOM specifically, I think you're still in range. If you get a very high MCAT score, a spot in their classes wouldn't be unrealistic. Research other DO schools too since it isn't safe to just apply to these 2. I also think CCOM and NYCOM are too expensive in comparison to many other schools.

Good luck.

what other schools do you recommend me apply to? (considering the tuition and such)... Thanks for the reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since posting here last summer, your cGPA and science GPA haven't gone up. It would be seriously helpful were you to demonstrate a steep upward grade trend this upcoming semester. It would be more helpful yet were you to delay applying for an additional year to further repair your GPA, especially as you aspire to a fairly selective DO school and possibly MD. A very strong MCAT score could help in that area as well.

I think it would be a good idea to also formally shadow a doc that cares for medically ill patients.

Some hands-on, nonmedical, noncampus comminty service would be nice to see as well.

Specific MD chances can be given when you come back to us with an MCAT score.

You guys are great for offering advice to all of us. Thanks again. Sounds like I need to do exceptionally well on my mcat in order to get into a practical school. See you again in May when I get my results back.