Any advice would be greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newnontrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I became a nontraditional premed recently. Here is my story:

I started out as a premed in college 10 years ago but my head was not in the right place at that time.
Before college, I was an exceptional student with a 4.0 GPA, many 5's on AP exams and an SAT score in the 95th percentile. I got into my dream school and I felt my life going in an amazing direction.

However, academics were a catastrophe for 6 years after starting college, with multiple failed courses in undergrad (C+ final GPA) and then a mediocre year at a Polish medical school. I withdrew from the Polish school after failing a class there. In many years, I had not been learning the way I knew I could. I needed to be myself again and it was uncertain how long it would take to regain that.

I got counseling and after a year, went back to complete a 2nd bachelor's degree in science. In 100 credit hours over 3 years from the 2nd degree - I achieved a 3.9 GPA. I retook the MCAT recently and scored 40R.

I don't know what to do now because the odds are against me, even with my "comeback". I have dreamed of being a doctor for most of my life. I experienced illness as a child that required physical therapy for a long time after I recovered. It hurt me socially at school but being on the outside made me a better person. I am thankful for those who were kind to me during that time and it remains a model of how I treat others today.

I still want to take a path to medicine but I am so afraid no one will let me in now. I don't want to give up without giving it my all, as I did before. I know I don't have the same record that many successful applicants have but this is the only career I would be happy doing all my life.

Will it help to apply to SMPs or do even more undergrad work? From others in the premed community, it looks like general graduate degrees will not help my application much.

I appreciate any thoughts on my situation :)

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congrats on the superb MCAT score.

Second, what is your TOTAL overall cumulative and science GPA?

Third, a SMP might not be totally necessary. The only "red flag" is that you previously attended a medical school then left it. However, I personally think that enough time has passed and you've grown enough between then and now to show med schools how serious you are about being a physician.

My advice: call a couple of the schools that you'd like to attend (or email), and explain your story. They will probably be real impressed (especially by that MCAT score) and tell you to apply either now or later. DO schools will most likely more accepting of you.

First off, congrats on the superb MCAT score.

Second, what is your TOTAL overall cumulative and science GPA?

Third, a SMP might not be totally necessary. The only "red flag" is that you previously attended a medical school then left it. However, I personally think that enough time has passed and you've grown enough between then and now to show med schools how serious you are about being a physician.

My advice: call a couple of the schools that you'd like to attend (or email), and explain your story. They will probably be real impressed (especially by that MCAT score) and tell you to apply either now or later. DO schools will most likely more accepting of you.

Thank you for taking the time to write :)

I. GPA
cGPA = 2.92
sGPA = 2.95
Would I not be disqualified by computer screening due to the low GPA?

II. Red Flags
Some posts on SDN from people who withdrew from medical school received replies that they should wait close to 10 years before reapplying. Is your response different because I attended a foreign medical school or my recent work?

III. Contacting schools
I called my main state school in the fall but:
-- I had not taken the MCAT yet (I took it once before to apply to the Polish school)
-- My cGPA was still nowhere near 3.0 a year ago
The response then was discouraging. Due to previous matriculation, they told me I could apply...
Maybe it will be different when I call them again.

I called some SMPs and they were more welcoming but it was clear I would also face decent competition there as well.

I never mention where I went to undergrad (the 1st time). Honestly, I don't know how much difference it even makes anymore. It is globally well regarded and has a very high national ranking. With that said, admissions committees often officially state that the institution does not matter at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
No need for the SMP; the 2nd bachelor's have shown that you re-invented yourself, and that you can handle medical school. It's getting really late in the MD app cycle, so start thinking about next year. You're still fine for DO bright now because it's a longer cycle.

Good luck!

I became a nontraditional premed recently. Here is my story:

I started out as a premed in college 10 years ago but my head was not in the right place at that time.
Before college, I was an exceptional student with a 4.0 GPA, many 5's on AP exams and an SAT score in the 95th percentile. I got into my dream school and I felt my life going in an amazing direction.

However, academics were a catastrophe for 6 years after starting college, with multiple failed courses in undergrad (C+ final GPA) and then a mediocre year at a Polish medical school. I withdrew from the Polish school after failing a class there. In many years, I had not been learning the way I knew I could. I needed to be myself again and it was uncertain how long it would take to regain that.

I got counseling and after a year, went back to complete a 2nd bachelor's degree in science. In 100 credit hours over 3 years from the 2nd degree - I achieved a 3.9 GPA. I retook the MCAT recently and scored 40R.

I don't know what to do now because the odds are against me, even with my "comeback". I have dreamed of being a doctor for most of my life. I experienced illness as a child that required physical therapy for a long time after I recovered. It hurt me socially at school but being on the outside made me a better person. I am thankful for those who were kind to me during that time and it remains a model of how I treat others today.

I still want to take a path to medicine but I am so afraid no one will let me in now. I don't want to give up without giving it my all, as I did before. I know I don't have the same record that many successful applicants have but this is the only career I would be happy doing all my life.

Will it help to apply to SMPs or do even more undergrad work? From others in the premed community, it looks like general graduate degrees will not help my application much.

I appreciate any thoughts on my situation :)

No need for the SMP; the 2nd bachelor's have shown that you re-invented yourself, and that you can handle medical school. It's getting really late in the MD app cycle, so start thinking about next year. You're still fine for DO bright now because it's a longer cycle.

Good luck!

I am feeling much more optimistic now!
You are right that I am too late for some of the applications. I will apply next year and do some volunteering this year.

If you have any further suggestions, please let me know :)